Minnesota!

@Minniechickmama , I do have another sick chicken question for you. The chickens that were showing symptoms are doing better since starting Tylan. And Neosporin is working great for those with eye issues. However, I've been thinking about hitting it hard and using Sulmet in their water as well. That or the Duramycin. Shall I not pussyfoot around it and just do it?

Last edited:
@Minniechickmama , I do have another sick chicken question for you. The chickens that were showing symptoms are doing better since starting Tylan. And Neosporin is working great for those with eye issues. However, I've been thinking about hitting it hard and using Sulmet in their water as well. That or the Duramycin. Shall I not pussyfoot around it and just do it?
If it is a separate eye issue alone, I would suggest one of two things or both...
Get some Thieve's Oil in a small sprayer bottle and mist around the face, but don't get in the eyes. Also, find some terramycin ointment and rub it in their eyes.

I have used the Thieves with birds who just had some sneezing issues but not getting snotty eyed or from their nares and it has cleared it up in a couple of days. Which reminds me, I should re-order some Theives for myself.

I think I like your Grandpa! Having grown up around animals my entire life, I learned long ago that getting too attached can cloud one's judgement when it comes to removing problems from the herd or flock. It is not easy to do, but one has to learn for the good of the many.

If it is a separate eye issue alone, I would suggest one of two things or both...

Get some Thieve's Oil in a small sprayer bottle and mist around the face, but don't get in the eyes.  Also, find some terramycin ointment and rub it in their eyes.  

I have used the Thieves with birds who just had some sneezing issues but not getting snotty eyed or from their nares and it has cleared it up in a couple of days.  Which reminds me, I should re-order some Theives for myself.

I think I like your Grandpa!  Having grown up around animals my entire life, I learned long ago that getting too attached can cloud one's judgement when it comes to removing problems from the herd or flock.  It is not easy to do, but one has to learn for the good of the many.

I chuckle about your last line. I went to college at the U of Mn and I remember my freshman year they were trying to get all the students to get flu shots and their advertising slogan was 'do it for the herd' with this cartoon cow
We got a laugh out of it as we joked about what really happens to the weakest of the heard

Last edited:
I didn't get my flu shot this year. Rebel, I know.

I am loosely considering vaccinating my chickens against MG after the respiratory infection party is over. Very, very loosely.

I don't get flu shots either. I had a bad reaction to the first one, or just a poorly timed and unrelated illness and haven't bothered to try again. I am healthy and low risk for it so I take the gamble.

Last edited:
I work with a Dr. that is allergic to the flu vaccine. This year the healthcare system I work for implemented that all providers must have their flu shot. It's not optional for them anymore. He said it was a pain in the *** to get them to back down. I'm not a provider, but I told them no because it's against my religion. Seemed like a good enough BS excuse.

I get the flu maybe once every 20 years so I won't be getting the shots! I think I'm allergic to the preservative they use in it anyway.

We get the flu shot. My daughter is a walking Petri dish and my parents are in their 80's. Anything I can do to reduce illness risk.
I'm pragmatic about it and don't recognize it as a cure-all. There are plenty of other bugs around to be had. :)

Back
Top Bottom