Minnesota!

hot day ahead!

I'e been messing with the tarps covering the hoop coop to get the best airflow. The meat chicks (red rangers) are a week old and doing ok, although this morning there were some bloody poops. Started dosing them with corid.

They are in a brooder made of a 4x4 metal pan with 12" high sides, and today I was going to work to get them out of the brooder and on the ground of the hoop coop.

But, it will be harder to keep an eye on the droppings so not sure now. THey need more room though.

What happened to your first garden?

The cold weekend we got frost - May 14th and 15th - Well, we were gone all weekend at a music festival. My garden wasn't covered. I lost everything. My new blueberry and Raspberry bushes pulled through surprisingly. And my girly flowers.

hot day ahead!

I'e been messing with the tarps covering the hoop coop to get the best airflow. The meat chicks (red rangers) are a week old and doing ok, although this morning there were some bloody poops. Started dosing them with corid.

They are in a brooder made of a 4x4 metal pan with 12" high sides, and today I was going to work to get them out of the brooder and on the ground of the hoop coop.

But, it will be harder to keep an eye on the droppings so not sure now. THey need more room though.

No good. Where did you get them from?

The cold weekend we got frost - May 14th and 15th - Well, we were gone all weekend at a music festival. My garden wasn't covered. I lost everything. My new blueberry and Raspberry bushes pulled through surprisingly. And my girly flowers.

Oh too bad. That must have been the weekend the our peppers suffered so badly, even though they were covered.

The red rangers came from the feed store, I think it was hoover hatchery.

You know, one day you see a dropping that looks a little questionable, the next you see more and you are sure! But after starting them on corid, I haen't seen any more droppings and they all seem to be fine.

I can't believe how much weight they are putting on. They already feel heavy in your hand!

haven't raised "meat birds" before, so I really should find out if I have to do anything different for them .

The red rangers came from the feed store, I think it was hoover hatchery.

You know, one day you see a dropping that looks a little questionable, the next you see more and you are sure! But after starting them on corid, I haen't seen any more droppings and they all seem to be fine.

I can't believe how much weight they are putting on. They already feel heavy in your hand!

haven't raised "meat birds" before, so I really should find out if I have to do anything different for them .

I ask because I have no idea, but will the Corid damage the meat at all? I had some birds last winter that had a respiratory infection. I injected them with Tylan. I've since gotten rid of them, however it was suggested that I cut around the injection areas if I were to butcher them. I don't know if that's treatment specific or route of administration. I'm guessing route.

How much do you expect them to weigh fully dressed? I've never seen Red Rangers before, so Just curious. I have a buddy that gets a few hundred broilers every year. The broilers always seem to have leg problems, but they also grow so dang fast.

I ask because I have no idea, but will the Corid damage the meat at all? I had some birds last winter that had a respiratory infection. I injected them with Tylan. I've since gotten rid of them, however it was suggested that I cut around the injection areas if I were to butcher them. I don't know if that's treatment specific or route of administration. I'm guessing route.

How much do you expect them to weigh fully dressed? I've never seen Red Rangers before, so Just curious. I have a buddy that gets a few hundred broilers every year. The broilers always seem to have leg problems, but they also grow so dang fast.

Just the injection site is damaged. There is a withdrawal period for just about all medications, from 1 day to 2 weeks normally.

I dose corid via water, so no injections. And it is an unusual drug, as there is no withdrawal time for eggs or meat! Minniechickiemama is right, almost everything has a withdrawal time, and there are lots of meds you just can't give to meat birds.

had a bear last night - didn't even wake up but when I woke, the cats were totally freaked - slinking around, looking over their shoulder. couldn't figure out what was going on til I looked outside. The bear must have been standing up because she took down the feeders without bending or moving the hooks, and the big glass hummingbird feeder has vanished.

I was scared to death that the bear might have hit up the hoop coop with all those chicks, but it left it alone.

Last edited:
Ah, that makes sense.

I don't even think the birds get to our feeders before the deer do. If I saw a bear I would just say forget it! Is there one that usually hangs around?

Back
Top Bottom