Minnesota!

So I'm a newbie to this incubating thing, my eggs were rocking earlier in the day and now are still. Day 21 in on Sunday. Should I be worried that they are still now? There are no pips yet though.
No, don't worry. Even while they are hatching they will take many breaks and rest. It is hard work to wiggle around in a tight egg shell to get into position and to pip around the edge and then to push out. You will be surprised, some will start pipping and be out real fast and then the next one will pip and take a day or more to finish hatching.

I got up this morning to a very wet, freshly hatched chick and 1 with a pip. Now I am impatiently for this little one to poke more than a beak out. Also hoping that more will start soon. Before lock down there were 6 viable eggs.

Be patient. I know that is nearly impossible the first time, but you can't do anything to hurry it any faster. What will be will be. Let them do their thing too. I am sure you have heard it before, but don't help them out, they need to struggle to be strong.
Good luck!

Minnie, you should try your hand at Muscovys. I keep mine more for pest control and general amusement, but I heard their meat is very tender and tasty. They're much bigger than a cayuga duck, but I don't think the cost to feed them would be much more if at all.

Minnie, you should try your hand at Muscovys. I keep mine more for pest control and general amusement, but I heard their meat is very tender and tasty. They're much bigger than a cayuga duck, but I don't think the cost to feed them would be much more if at all.

Nah, I think I may be done with ducks unless when my DH retires and wants to put in a pond and year around spot for them dummies. I have heard all good things on the Muskies but I would have Khakis if I were to get any again, just so I could have the eggs, but that isn't quite worth the trouble either.

Picking well educated/experienced brains here. Last year was our first year with chickens, this year my kids want to join 4H. My son is thinking ducks, daughter wants to stick with the chickens. Our flock consists of random breeds, no way to trace origin. They're interested in both the breed standard type judging (forgive me, I'm completely green here), as well as showmanship.

We found our county club, do they tell us what we need to do or is the club more about civic work? I notice ours does a lot of volunteering type stuff. Will they know where we can find quality stock or is that something we'll have to do? If we are on our own, does anyone have any tips on where one can find 4h approved quality stock, because while I've heard hatchery stock can work very well for showmanship, it's not ideal for judging breed standard? Do we need paperwork to validate purity?

Back
Top Bottom