Minnesota!

Any suggestions on how to cook a year old rooster?
I suggest canning or pressure cooking or in a crock pot for a long time. Chicken and dumplings are mighty tasty that way.

But good for you for not putting up with a meany. Too many people get all attached to their roosters and when they turn on people and start hurting them, they can't bring themselves to get rid of them. Personally, I would feel horrible if someone got hurt from a rooster I own. There are too many good roosters who know where their place is to put up with one who will come after people.

Bon apetite!

I suggest canning or pressure cooking or in a crock pot for a long time.  Chicken and dumplings are mighty tasty that way.

But good for you for not putting up with a meany.  Too many people get all attached to their roosters and when they turn on people and start hurting them, they can't bring themselves to get rid of them.  Personally, I would feel horrible if someone got hurt from a rooster I own.  There are too many good roosters who know where their place is to put up with one who will come after people.

Bon apetite!

We tried all we could with Mr Roo, but after yesterday I knew I would never trust him. I don't want anyone getting hurt or even just worrying about getting attacked. Life will be more peaceful and happy without him.

Now I need to decide where to go with the flock... Do I get another BA roo or do I change up to the Buckeyes?

We tried all we could with Mr Roo, but after yesterday I knew I would never trust him. I don't want anyone getting hurt or even just worrying about getting attacked. Life will be more peaceful and happy without him.

Now I need to decide where to go with the flock... Do I get another BA roo or do I change up to the Buckeyes?
That's a no-brainer in my book
wink.png

Coq au vin is my go-to old bird dish. Julia Child's recipe is pretty excellent, but there are other good ones out there too. 
It basically chicken, mushrooms, bacon and onions braised in red wine for an hour or more.

That sounds yummy! He is resting in the fridge for a couple days then I may try that recipe.

Sounds like there's a Buckeye in your future Joyful!  Sorry about the roo...but sounds like it's for all the best.  You need it so that the flock dynamic suits you.  It's good for you, it's good for the flock.

Our flock free ranges all around the farm, so now the kids can play outside without worrying about where the mean rooster is. My husband is worried that the hens will miss him too much and not do well without him. I'm sure they'll adjust.

I am intrigued by the Buckeye but I'm not sure how to fit them into the flock yet. My kids are attached to the BA's and BO's that we have and they don't think the Buckeyes are very pretty. Maybe a trip to Theri's to see them in person would help.

How long do you have to keep them in quarantine when you bring new chickens into the flock? And would having them in a chicken tractor that my flock could go right up to be enough of a quarantine? Or should they be separated in a better way?

The ladies are missing their roo. They have been all out of sorts and grumpy. Lots of squabbling is going on now and an all out fight with blood drawn just happened between our new mama hen and one of the others. I'm almost regretting my decision to get rid of Mr Roo. :(

Back
Top Bottom