Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I would bring them in out of the cold immediately so they don't lose their feet, do you have a garage or shed they can go in? maybe put down some warm bedding, get their water up high so it won't spill [​IMG] sorry this is happening to you.

Here is a thread, not too much help but...maybe search the threads for frostbite feet and see what you can do.

Here is another, yes, bring them out of the old immediately it says or they could get crippled, lose their feet, or die. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Poultrybird12, are you sure it is frostbite? Or are they actually frozen? It is pretty tough for a duck to get its feet frostbitten, I think. When I have overwintered ducks, they rarely went inside. Last year, though, I had a pair of Calls and the drake got himself frozen into the water tub. Both his feet froze off. I sold the duck to a girl in Lonsdale and she took the drake too. His feet fell off, but the last I knew, he still runs around on his stubs and is happy. She made prosthetic feet for him but he doesn't like them. It is not fun for them to go through that, but they can survive it. My approach to frostbite is leave it alone once it happens. Let Mother Nature take its course and it will scab and heal naturally. I think it causes more pain to mess with those parts that have gotten frostbite than to just leave them alone.

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Well, are you proud of yourself?

Your negativity has cost me 540 million dollars. I read a book on positive thinking once and this was not it. However, you should know I am not entirely blaming you, my wife is equally at fault. She failed to circle the proper 6 numbers on the powerball application form.

She gets a little touchy when I simply asked her " how darn hard can it be to circle 6 numbers and get it right". I did learn she does not take criticism well, and to never ask her a question while she is bringing me hot coffee. You can relax though knowing the burns were minor, I should have a full recovery.

She said the fault was not hers, it could be she is right. I am launching an investigation to see if the powerball people know how to properly draw the numbers. I did hit a small snag with them though, They hung up on me when I asked them " how darn hard can it be to draw 6 numbers and get it right?"

This set back in my plans has forced me to withdraw my offer to hire a chicken nanny. So now there is a poor person in Long Prairie pining over a great career she will not get. The trickle down effect from this is amazing.

Anyways Enjoy you day and lets work on positive thinking when I next have a lottery ticket.

Edited to correct a typo, not my fault I might add, certain keys on my laptop do not work properly. I have had this problem for awhile. I am not sure of the cause, but it started shortly after a little pea soup spill. There is a remote possibility the two are related, about the same as my getting hit by a falling coconut I would assume.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie, Look at it this way. Your wife has saved you a lot of stress and grief. If you got 500 million dollars then you would have to find a place to put it, and you would have to worry about it every day. Life is so much less stress filled and enjoyable the way it is.

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I understand that, BUT I was willing to take on those problems,,,,,,,,,,,

I feel bad for your guys too, I was going to give everyone currently on the Minnesota thread a million dollars. However, when you point out the problems money causes I have decided to not burden any of you with a million dollars.

It takes a special kind of person <me> to be able to deal with that pressure..

However, you could be right, if I had that money I might not enjoy sitting and talking to my chickens as often as I do...

6. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG]ejb!

[​IMG]Ralphie. I'd help you find a chicken sanctuary on a Caribbean Island and we could figure out what to do with all that money. Buy some Cream Legbars I'm guessing....

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

If I have it figured right after taxes we would have had around 120 million. I am guessing we could get nearly a dozen cream legbars.

8. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    Only a minor setback, I will keep dreaming! The worst part is foregoing that warm vacation (I'm sorry to admit I was cussing-just a little-this morning while feeding chickens and filling bird feeders). I'll keep you in mind when I hit the powerball, turn about is fair play.

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I find it amazing two of us on the same chicken site would play the powerball and both lose... what are the odds of that happening?

10. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    I know, its just amazing! Of course, me not winning MIGHT have had something to do with not buying a ticket? I was told you have to buy them to win but I'm still gonna keep trying without spending money. I'll let you know if it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by