Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I did not know oak leafs could do this too, mine spend most of the day digging through oak leafs.

This brings up another question I have wondered about. I feed crushed oyster shells. I di not feed grit as my birds are outside daily and I always make sure I have a pile of sand/gravel snow free for them to pick at.

I have seen my roosters eating the oyster shells. I know it is calcium, I doubt they are smart enough to say they should add calcium to their feed. I also feed a layer mash with calcium in it. Whew, now the question.. I feel like a whitehouse reporter with a 5 minute set up for a question....... the question is, do oyster shell act as grit at all.

I would think they would sit in the gizzard and grind other foods as they dissolve and are absorbed.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Ralphie: I re-read your earlier post and for the record I think you're probably a good Poultry keeper. Anybody that cares for their birds the way you seem to -- is a good keeper. With maybe some bad luck here and there. There is a learning curve in Poultry keeping.

I will tell you that I had some Miracle grow spill out on my deck last summer and I lost the most beautiful Easter Egger because of my neglect. She ate that fertilizer and died in 3 days. [​IMG] I think we all have had these things happen to us and we all learn from them and make life better with the rest.

Sounds like your birds are getting the grit they need from the sand piles. I've always bought both the granite grit AND the Oyster Shell for free choice...if the layers think they need it. Feed back crushed egg shells etc. I'm not sure how quick the Oyster Shell gets dissolved. But I will tell you that I had oyster shell only in my run the first winter for a while...and by January the digestion was not working as well. Whole seeds and strands of grass and greens in the poo undigested. So I think they need the granite or rock stuff for grit. About the same time my Dad was asking me if I got grit for them. Ha, good old Dad. Once we had that grit...the droppings looked better.

Just wanted to clarify that I haven't seen the birds eat the oak leaves, though...just a bit of the hay strands.

4. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop

5. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I do offer free choice grit and oyster shell in the run and in the hen house, they have access to both all day long. Also, the run floor is dirt/sand/wood chips. rocks in there as well.

6. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    So sorry for your loss :( I think you are both good Poultry Keepers. I agree that there is alot of learning. I just wish it wasn't so painful to learn these lessons!

7. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I wish you were here and could help me tube the water. what thread did you follow for directions on that? the impacted crop/crop health article? Mine is also an EE

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  8. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie, Just to educate you a little, I will tell you that you are three times more likely to be killed by a falling coconut than to win the powerball. Are there any coconut trees growing near your coop? If so be very careful.

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I try to not let reality affect my powerball dreams in an manner.

I may not be a bad chicken owner, But I have one black lab that is not happy with me as a dog owner. I happen to see 2 mature eagles soaring over the fields and coming this way ( maybe 1/8 of a mile away when I saw them.) I forced the poor dog out in the cold telling her to "get em" so she ran out barking. She is now barking to come in. I suppose I have to let her in soon, but she is providing poultry security at the moment...

10. Thanks Bogtown Chick. :) She is defiantly a sweetie and my favorite chicken. I love RIRs to, they're such beautiful and sweet birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by