Minnesota!

I wish you were here and could help me tube the water. what thread did you follow for directions on that? the impacted crop/crop health article? Mine is also an EE

I read many many many posts on the impacted crop issue. I sorted all the info and decided what might work in our situation or what I was willing to do. For example, I didn't want to force vomiting but that is just my personal choice. I was willing to put in some time working the hen so that is what I did. I did not have sour crop. I didn't feel any major lumps. The way you described the crop like a sand bag, not balloony was what I had.

How can anyone feel like they are bad chicken keepers when we are here on a chicken forum talking chickens (most of the time)! Sure some will get sick and die, some will die and we may not know what happened. But gosh darn it we are here learning how to do the best we can. I love getting on here and talking chickens. Who else can I talk with that shares my enthusiasm for poultry?! Who else can take pictures of their eggs, share them and not feel ridiculed. I know I love me some egg pictures, Ralphie ahem! Who loves going out to the coop to watch those silly birds and all their silly antics, WE DO!! Anytime I start talking chicken with anyone around here I get eyerolls and is that all you talk about? I said everyone has their passions, mine is poultry.
big_smile.png

I read many many many posts on the impacted crop issue. I sorted all the info and decided what might work in our situation or what I was willing to do. For example, I didn't want to force vomiting but that is just my personal choice. I was willing to put in some time working the hen so that is what I did. I did not have sour crop. I didn't feel any major lumps. The way you described the crop like a sand bag, not balloony was what I had.

How can anyone feel like they are bad chicken keepers when we are here on a chicken forum talking chickens (most of the time)! Sure some will get sick and die, some will die and we may not know what happened. But gosh darn it we are here learning how to do the best we can. I love getting on here and talking chickens. Who else can I talk with that shares my enthusiasm for poultry?! Who else can take pictures of their eggs, share them and not feel ridiculed. I know I love me some egg pictures, Ralphie ahem! Who loves going out to the coop to watch those silly birds and all their silly antics, WE DO!! Anytime I start talking chicken with anyone around here I get eyerolls and is that all you talk about? I said everyone has their passions, mine is poultry.
big_smile.png
This is true, I talk about my chickens, alot, but I think people think i'm nuts!
wee.gif

I've been working her crop on and off all day, probably about 6 times today for 5 minutes a piece. at first did not feel like anything was happening. but the last round it felt alot more "loose" and didn't feel as heavy. hopefully it is breaking up. she has only gone potty 3 times today though. each one was more solid than the last. the last one was paste consistency and yes, did have some green in it, possibly from grass or the greens I give them, who knows? I did give her another round of the dulcolax about a half hour ago. (that is the second round). we'll see if that helps at all as well. I also gave her some scrambled eggs with olive oil, she ate a few, but didn't care for it much, but I wanted to get the oil in there...

Cluckies: It sounds like you are doing everything right with the prevention but ran into a bit of bad luck with a hen predisposed to it. I had a gluttonous hen once and her down fall came in the form of fatty liver disease despite free ranging. She just was a fast-eating opportunist hen, when the others were not. It got her in trouble. IDK...it's extremely frustrating sometimes and you will learn that somethings are out of your hands. It's the hardest thing to feel helpless with these birds, sometimes. I'm glad you are considering efforts for her though, and I wish you every bit of luck with her and I wish I could help you with her too.
smile.png

Ralphie. Your Doggy has a job today. All dogs love jobs and the praise that comes afterwards.
wink.png

Cluckies: It sounds like you are doing everything right with the prevention but ran into a bit of bad luck with a hen predisposed to it. I had a gluttonous hen once and her down fall came in the form of fatty liver disease despite free ranging. She just was a fast-eating opportunist hen, when the others were not. It got her in trouble. IDK...it's extremely frustrating sometimes and you will learn that somethings are out of your hands. It's the hardest thing to feel helpless with these birds, sometimes. I'm glad you are considering efforts for her though, and I wish you every bit of luck with her and I wish I could help you with her too.
smile.png

Ralphie. Your Doggy has a job today. All dogs love jobs and the praise that comes afterwards.
wink.png
Thanks Bogtown, this one is the glutinous one
hmm.png
Always the first to the trough. no change since last check and massage. still not drinking anything.

smile.png

wink.png

This dog is ambivalent to praise, she prefers food. She is the worlds largest lap dog. If she does not get her "lap" time she whines, cries and makes herself a pest. having a job is for common dogs, she does not believe she is a common dog.

I know I do not have to tell you or whine to you guys about how cold it is, BUT I will.

It is so cold! Bitter bitter cold and windy. I think it is worse than when we had 20 below.

I just came in from locking up the coop. I normally have all my chickens and Ethel the turkey hen in the coop at night. Tonight I have Ethel and two other turkey hens in the coop.

You could say it's A Three Turkey Night.

I always know the day after it snows I'm not going to get many eggs. It's like clockwork, it snows one day and most of the girls take the very next day off. It snowed yesterday and we only get one egg today. It's happened all winter. Anyone else experience this?

Back
Top Bottom