Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Ahhh,,, there in lies the answer, you said they ordered more. So I assume these are hatchery birds. That place is a hard place to leave without a chick in tow... Are both areas full of chicks? I know I should get off my death bed and go down there and see fro myself.

2. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I was only in the store portion, so don't know if they have any in the other building yet. But you couldn't hardly move in the store!

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    You guys are weak.... [​IMG]

Oh man!... if I didn't live an hour away from Tractor supply or 5 hours from Minnie-- better yet; I'd be in seriously deep chicken S....

Restraint. Miles are my friends.... LOL.

4. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Thanks for the heads up on that LaLa. I'll do a little research. We have wild mallards & woodies that nest in our low spots/potholes. Hawks harrassing them while they nest as well. And my chooks are free ranging in and out of there. Mostly out on the lawn though...so I'm not too worried. [​IMG]

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Have you ever been to Ramsey feed?

They fill the main store with chicks,,,,then they have a second building off to the side they fill with chick.. Plus they have birds running around the store. It is like an alcoholic walking into a bar, the temptations are just too great. I get a dry sweat over my whole body just driving by on hwy 10.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Our local feed store L&M won't be getting their chicks until the end of March. We are talking of getting DD some ducks for her birthday and DH wants to try getting from them instead of ordering from McMurray. We shall see. Can a person walk out of the store with only one or two ducks? What about all those other birds that I know I can provide a nice home for? Shouldn't some come home with me too?

Yes, thanks, LaLa on that heads up on the Avian flu in Minnesota. I too am a worrier. I have loads of wild birds that get fed along with my poultry (is there any other way the wild birds would eat if I weren't feeding them [​IMG] ) and I have a pond behind the chicken coop where the wild ducks pop in once in awhile. My ducks & geese love to go down there too. We had a pair of Canadian Geese feeding off the grass right behind the house last spring too. What can a person do?

Speaking of feeding the local wild animal community my DD just told me there was a deer out by the duck house. Sure enough there it was going back and forth checking things out. Pretty cool (until all my feed is gone)

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    L&M will gladly sell you just one or two.....

I would say you should take all the lonely ones too.

I have no ducks or geese around here, even though I live next and our family lost 3/4 of our land to a federal Goose refuge. The feds could find a way to take our land but could not find a way to convince the geese to use it.. So I should be safe, I hope...

I do have sandhills in the back, and the chickens eat from the droppings of my bird feeder, is that a problem?

8. I got my 6 hens from L&M in 2013. It took all my willpower last year to walk out of there with no chicks, especially considering they had Barred Rocks which I've wanted forever. I'm not sure if it's even possible for me to walk out of there with no chicks this year. ;)

9. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    We will be getting our replacement chicks in the next few days. I was wondering if it was best to put them in right away with the week olds or should I keep them separate until the new ones get watered and warmed up from the trip? Would the energy from the older ones be good for the younger ones or be too much?

10. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop

That's too funny Ralphie. One day I'll go in there with my "cold Turkey" face on. I'll have to check it out. My sister lives in the south metro and may make a silly excuse like I need to go visit her or something and go through Ramsey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by