Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    Oh my, you would think I would have thought of that! TY! I did log in and it looks like a shipping label was created and a tracking # assigned. So crossing fingers!!!

2. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!

I get SUPER excited waiting for the chicks to come! Are your kiddos getting excited? Mine do! Especially my oldest! She is such a mini me! LOL!

3. nordicacres

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    Haha, yes. They are very excited! They all hope the chickens show up tomorrow so that they can spend time watching them and learning about them. I've read not to handle them much the first day so they already know that. Otherwise if they show up on Monday the kids will be at school. Do yours help with chores?

4. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    You bet they help with chores!! I make sure they understand the why we do it and how we do it. My 7 year old is eager to show me she can do things on her own lately. I have been letting her do some on her own and she does very well. My oldest is 10 and she does a fantastic job. I can really count on her. I have 2 younger ones that "help with chores" by tagging along and looking for eggs. They help feed and water when possible. They all really do like having things to be responsible for. And the rewards of eggs is perfect for them so far!

5. nordicacres

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    My chicks left St. Paul at 6:45 am. It is torture waiting for them to arrive! My local Post Office closes at 10:00 am on Saturday so I really hope they arrive soon. Or that they call me when they arrive in Mankato. Of course we have a Scout activity this afternoon. Can't get out of that one, either. My DH is the Cub Scout Master and also leads the Wolf Den . . .

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I know I am not a logistics expert, however, I cannot help but wonder why a hatchery does not plan it's hatches for Sunday afternoon or Mondays so the chicks can be sent during the week and not risk sitting in a post office over the weekend.....

Now I am going to start partaking of liquid courage and sedatives at around noon as to be able to handle an afternoon of loading the bus to freezer camp. I know I have to do it, I know the turkeys will taste good, I know the turkeys had a better life than they would have had at Jenny-o. But it is still hard to do for me... I hate being a softy!

7. nordicacres

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    I wondered the same thing. Doesn't seem wise to have them sit at a Post Office all day Saturday and Sunday.

GL with processing your birds!

8. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    FWIW - I've had good customer service experience with Cackle Hatchery, and my chicks & keets have always arrived midweek, not on a weekend.

9. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Funny you should wonder this...
    It is because the post office in Webster City, Iowa dictates they have to ship on Thursdays. They used to ship earlier in the week, but something happened with the PO there and it all changed. That is very stupid, and why they didn't fight it and force them to allow them earlier really amazes me. That is the worst time of the week to ship!!

10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

WOW!

And people wonder why some of us do not trust bureaucrats.... . what a mindless decision on the part of the post office, without regards to the health and well beings of the chick...

Ok I am getting off my soapbox,,, Thanks for giving us thee reason, no matter what I think of it,,,,,,,,( shaking head)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by