Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    And I just thought to myself before you posted. Man I must be the only crazy Minnesotan that is up this late on byc

2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I hear ya there. I had a pen eating eggs last year at this time and it drove me nuts. Not all of them are necessarily problem birds, but all it takes is one who will peck them open and the rest will follow. I think I have one in one of my New Hampshire pens I need to get figured out. I may put my game cam in the pen for a couple of days and see who it might be.

3. CPOSCH

CPOSCH New Egg

Mar 2, 2015
    Ralphie
    I am in Royalton by little falls. I asked on fb and found some ;-)
    Thanks so much to everyone

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Great!!

What kind of chicks did you get?

Holm, I have not had a turkey egg that I know of this year yet. However, after Ethel's behavior today, I am wondering if she is hiding them on me......AND

I caught one of the young hens trying to craw into a pile of scrap iron, under a old truck inner spring seat I have, twice today. I can think of no reason for her to be crawling under that, other than to steal away a nest.

Tomorrow 3 Jakes are going to freezer camp. The others may have to go into a temporary pen until I get the new one done.

5. CPOSCH

CPOSCH New Egg

Mar 2, 2015
    We are going out tomorrow. I really would like banties. We will see ;-) I live reading all the stories on here.

6. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    Chicks are coming, chicks are coming! Woot! My lovely DH built me a simple brooder today. He is so talented it hardly took him any time at all. MMM is supposed to ship the chicks tomorrow to arrive on Monday AM. I am so tempted just to drive down to pick them up. It is supposed to be cold this weekend. 150 miles one way. I should really quit worrying about the chicks . . .

Side note - I have called MMM twice to ask a few questions (politely) and both women that I talked to were completely unhelpful. Next time I order chicks I will try another hatchery.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  7. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    YAY for chicks coming!!!!!! How exciting!! What breeds did you pick out?

When I got my chicks from mcmurray this year they shipped them on friday and I got them on saturday. I had to drive an hour to duluth to get them from that post office or I could have waited until monday to get them at my local post office. I had a heat pack added to the second order and that made a huge difference. If I ever order early again that will be a must have in my box from now on. I didn't have any chick loss in the second order of 24 shipped the second weekend in March.

Hope your order/shipment goes well. I know how unnerving it can be waiting for them and then opening the box to see how they are. Let us know how it goes! Best of luck!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Nordic,
    I bet yours are in tomorrow. They always give a longer ship time than they actually take.
    I have never had a bad service experience with McMurray. Sorry to hear you did. I only buy supplies from them now though. When I used to get chicks from them, I never had issues with them.
    Good for you that your husband is handy, and that you have the brooder ready before the chicks arrive. I like to last minute everything Lol.

9. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    I really hope they are in tomorrow. We are all so anxious to have them here safe and sound. If they had shipped today I would imagine that I would have received some tracking info, though. No text or email yet . . .

As far as breeds go I did a lot of research and made a list of LF that were cold hardy. Then I let each one of the kids choose a breed (we have four children) in the hopes they would become interested and feel a sense of ownership for their chickens :) We ended up getting 1 or 2 of a bunch of different breeds - Buff Orpington, Easter Eggers, Wyandottes, Black Australorp, Barred Rock (DH's pick), Welsummer, Brahmas, etc.

I didn't necessarily have a bad experience with their CS, but they certainly weren't helpful or friendly in any manner.

10. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    If you log into your mcmurray acct. you can track your order before they call you. It will update tonight or early tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by