Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I am going to "fix" my egg and hatch it!

I have read about people doing that on here and I am going to try it.

I am going to first drip a little candle wax (birthday candle) on the crack.

then I am going to put a drop of clear fingernail hardener over the wax and let it dry.

Thirdly, I am going to place in in the incubator to hatch.......

And lastly, I made a mental note to not put an egg in my pocket with my keys again.

Pictures too follow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  2. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Pretty cool repair job! Never even thought you could do that. Hope it works for you and hatches out. I didn't know you could add eggs at different times to the incubator. I just keep on learning new things here!

3. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Cool repair job! I hope it hatches!

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

That is why I need 2 incubators, a story line my DW is not buying as well as I thought she should.

One for incubating one for hatching...

I was wondering if I could fix it and searched BYC and found others had done it. So I thought it is worth a try.

5. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    You underestimated the power of a woman, that's what went wrong (and also, you probably made her mad with the hair deal, which I'm sure didn't help [​IMG])

I'm really hoping I can find someone close. There HAVE to be other EE keepers in this area. But then, I guess they don't have to be on BYC. I guess if I've had good luck with Minniechickmama's bird and she has new strains I can always get more from her. But I'm getting itchy, which means I'll cave and get hatchery chicks on the 29th (because I already checked the schedule at Runnings- even had to go all super spy and sneak behind the counter to take a pic of the schedule). But I guess I could use some Red Stars and I'm for sure gonna get more meaties, so maybe that will be enough to hold me off.

6. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Ralphie,
    Have a little experience with hatching (I now own 2 cabinet incubators with a 900+ egg capacity, a foamie bator that holds 42- but I only use on overload weeks, and a cabinet hatcher that holds 300, oh, and a little 3-egg cheapo bator that actually does work!). You are right in wanting to have two separate units, and there are a couple of very good reasons: 1.) You can have staggered hatches using one incubator, 2.) a separate hatcher allows you to give it a really good scrubbing and disinfecting between hatches, cuz we know hatching is messy business, 3.) Having the ability to stagger hatches means you can hatch on a weekly basis instead of every 3-weeks.

Here is a suggestion though with the cracked egg and setting eggs...
    You don't really need the nail polish over the wax. I have used the wax several times and it will hold, just kind of smear it around so the crack is well covered before it cools. I would worry that the nail polish would emit too much noxious stuff into the egg, and that it if the chick were to try to pip out at that spot, the wax is soft enough to get through, but the polish is too hard. With setting the eggs, it is a LOT easier if you set once a week or every 5 days rather than putting them in each day or on random days. Eggs will keep just find sitting on a shelf for up to 10 days (I have even hatched them that were older, over 2-weeks, though the fertility drops significantly after 10 days), and you can set them in batches. You do need to turn them or rock them while holding them, which for you could mean putting them in a carton and prop up one end at a time and then just alternate propping the ends up a couple of times a day. Especially if you have only one incubator, having staggered hatches in one unit is not just messy, that mess and opening the incubator either to turn or pull chicks or whatever, can negatively effect the rest of the unhatched eggs. All in all, you NEED that second incubator, so you need to wash your hair and sit your Missus down and explain it to her nicely. Of course, having a box of chocolates or a flowers while you do so wouldn't hurt.

7. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Dove chocolates are the best and a husband with fine smelling hair--maybe will do the trick Ralphie.

Gosh the information for incubating alone is another volume or chicken book in itself. Great info Minnie. Learning something new on this website everytime I log on.

8. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    X's 2!!

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    It is good do know wax alone works. Next time, if there is one I will skip the finger nail hardener. I plan to put these in when I get about 10 eggs Which should be about a week from today. Hopefully the nail polisher stuff will have dried off by then.

The eggs I have in have 2 weeks from tomorrow to go. I'm thinking another small incubator will be more than enough for me. It is not like I plan to make any money, it is just a hobby to keep me busy. When the turkeys start laying I will need more space than I can get in one just because of the time they take to hatch.

I have thought about trying to build a hatcher, and I might after I buy another cheapy at TSC.

I have a thermostat and am thinking of just using lamp in a cooler with it.

10. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie, I hope that things work out well with the damaged egg. I tried one of those repair jobs once and the egg hatched on time, but the chick had a lump on his head and walked around in circles all the time. It turned out to be a rooster, and so I used it to develop a new strain which I named the Northern Circle Rangers. They were easy to keep track of when out of the pen and were a good laying line. Then someone from the Iron Range found out about them, and one morning I came out to release them and found them all gone. There was a note on the coop " we have come to take these Northern Circle Rangers to where they truly belong and will be appreciated. Up to da Range don't ya know?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by