Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. CPOSCH

CPOSCH New Egg

Mar 2, 2015
    Yeah! I found you Minnesota! I have learned so much from you today thank you! And my new coop arrived today! So... We get to go "chick searching" you have all been great! After my daycare kiddos wake up I will make some calls to my local co ops! The kiddos are so excited to help with the babies too! I am do glad I found this forum!

2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    The nice thing if you are buying a second for the hatching only is that you don't have the added expense of the turner. I would still look at getting one that has a fan in it though. That being said, I have started a small hatcher to take to the fair when I do a week long hatch there each year. I am using the guts of the old Havobator that had an egg blow in it once that I never got the smell quite out of it. I put it outside to air out and something chewed the corner of the foam off, so I am using the electronics and heating element to make my new one. I want to build my own large hatcher too to someday replace the Sportsman. It is great at hold temp, getting up to temp, but I hate so many other things about the design, namely want a pain in the *** to clean the stupid thing. I have that Leahy 624 that is wonderful, but it is BIG and I can't get it in my basement. I only incubate in that one anyway. DON'T buy a Brower Top Hatch if you want an easy to maintain, high hatch rate, they can be a nightmare!

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

welcome!!!

What part of the state are you in?

I was surprised today I went to TSC and they were out of chicks!

4. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Out of chicks already?! Our L&M doesn't even have their chicks in yet!! Probably a good thing for me otherwise I might have added a few in the brooder. I know DH wouldn't have noticed until a little bit later on. Ah me! I best not even go to the L&M until I know all the chicks are gone!

We did get our 2nd goose egg today!! But no pretty blue eggs :( I was so looking forward to seeing another. I will just sit and look at the one we have. :)

I started a goose thread were I have gotten some good info but I was wondering what you guys think because you are more familiar with the weather we get. I was advised if the goose goes broody to only let her set 7-8 eggs. I really have no idea how many eggs she might lay so I will try to mark them somehow (any suggestions for that?) and take the older ones out until she sits. I was wondering though about leaving the eggs in the nest she made each night. The temps do get below freezing every night here and I don't think she sleeps on the nest (but I don't know for sure). So do I worry about the eggs freezing? Should I keep collecting them until the weather is above freezing at night and just leave dummy eggs for her? I was told they lay an egg every other day. She made her nest inside a metal barrel I have laying on its side in a fenced garden. Any thoughts on the matter?

5. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Ya sure
    you betcha
    aye ejb3810

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I hate candling eggs...

I did not have my reading glasses on, I could not see into a lot of the eggs...

I am thinking less than half are good, which is bad...

I could see into the creamettes 2 out of 3 our good. The one I put in 6 hours late does not look good.

I am going to try again Saturday before I cull any, I need to find my better light and my glasses.

The porous egg looked clear. I really have a hard time throwing eggs out of the incubator..... Anyone willing to come over and make the calls for me, come on over!

7. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have an easier method to tell if an egg is developing than trying to see the veins by shining in he air sac end.
    Put the egg in your hand so you are making a circle big enough for a small flashlight on the pointy end and shine it up the egg, ifyou get a shadow that covers half the top part of the egg (at 5 days or so), then it is developing. That is really all I do until I got to switch them into the hatcher, I then shine it the same way, if they quit, there is usually a blood ring you can see, but if they are growing you can see the shadow getting bigger and bigger and when they are ready to go to hatcher, it is full down the pointy end. That is how I do it and I can whip through 200 eggs in a few minutes. Faster, easier and easier on the old eyes.

8. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    A egg eater ate 14 eggs I set under 2 broodies down to six set 2 developing great on day 3-4 and the others haven't been candled yet. They're set to hatch day before for the 2 I candled and Easter day hatch for the others

9. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Wow! 14 eaten by one chicken? I think I would look for a 4-legged critter getting into those eggs! Even when I have had egg eaters, they wouldn't eat that many with the whole pen of 8-10 joining in.

10. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

I caught her doing it I'm sure a hen or two helped her out but we have 60 some birds so its hard to figure out who does what around here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by