Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    Sorry about the weasels, Minnie.

On the plus side, learned a lot about the prevention and trapping of today, so thanks to all of you who posted about their habits and such.

No activity from them with the chickens here yet, but I know they're around. They are so darn cute, it's too bad they're such an awful predator!

Do you think they would crawl up the side of a chicken house and get in through the vents?? Or do they prefer burrowing in after rodent tunnels and such, kind of opportunistic? There are so many rabbits and field mice around here that they probably don't want to deal with the dogs & cats outside at night.

2. Dandelioness

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    One more thing -

Is there a good place to see at a glance what is legal to do with predators messing with your livestock? I haven't had any trouble with hawks or eagles, which is good because I think they're protected? But I think you can shoot or trap anything furry/four-legged caught in the act of taking your livestock or attacking a kid or something (although, I think my kids are noisy enough to scare most things away LOL).

If anyone knows where to find that info, please share a link.

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    There is a statute or several of them regarding the killing of animals doing or about to do property damage. Killing a chick to me is property damage..

NOW BEWARE with wolves, and raptors there are federal laws that apply that say you must just take the damage and turn a bill into a federal warden for the damages.... Back in the early 80s I lost nearly 50 sheep to a wolf pack. The federal warden said it was brush wolves and I was not entitled to damages.

That said I told him great I can shot the ( omitting the word I used for obvious reasons)... The federal warden said " NO NO NO Be careful if they might be timber wolves you will go to jail..." catch 22. I stopped raising sheep shortly after.

Here is the DNR synopsis:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/livingwith_wildlife/taking.html

Taking a nuisance animal

Nuisance animals are wildlife (not domesticated animals like dogs or cats) that cause property damage. Some animals which are normally protected by Minnesota Statute can be taken without a license or permit if they are doing damage. The animals included under this provision of Minnesota law include: mink, squirrels, rabbit, hare, raccoon, bobcat, fox, muskrat, opossum and beaver. Other unprotected birds include the English sparrow, starling, and common pigeon. All of these animals may be taken by the landowner, manager or occupant if the animal is causing property damage.
    When taking protected nuisance animals, notify a Conservation Officer within 24 hours. Please refer any inquiries you may have regarding this list to the DNR Information Center. What does "taking" mean? Taking means capturing, relocating or killing a nuisance animal. This can be done in any manner except by the use of poison, artificial lights or with a motor vehicle. The most common methods for taking an animal would be with a firearm or bow and arrow. These methods, however, cannot be used everywhere. A person should consult local laws before applying controls.
    In many urban areas or areas regulated by local ordinance, an individual may be restricted to live trapping. Many of the pages here will give suggestions as to how this is best accomplished. Once the animal is caught, a person may choose to destroy or relocate the animal. If one chooses to relocate a captured wild animal, it should be relocated 10 to 15 miles from where it was captured in order to ensure that it does not return. It is necessary to obtain permission from the governing agency or landowner before releasing the animal. Remember to consult local laws before applying controls.

My unasked for comments.

I believe a good State attorney General would argue the state law supersedes the federal in this case because the constitution is mute on the subject.

That said I would not count on the attorney General of Minnesota to do this.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  4. Dandelioness

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    Wow, an ex-shepherd, too? I am thinking about raising sheep soon. A friend of mine raises lambs and I buy them from her and we process them together. Did you ever tan the hides with the wool on? Fencing needs to come first, and a dairy cow.

Thanks for the link, it's a very good start. I wasn't sure if it was state, county, and feds or what, but I know municipalities have areas you can't shoot anything but an air rifle.

Just want to be sure we're handling things in the appropriate way if they come up.

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    When my kids were young I wanted them to where their food came from and meat was not just something that showed up in a store...

I had sheep and cattle for about 4 years until I got too busy to do them and my other work that actually made me money..

Also I was in wolf country and this event soured me on livestock. It was hard enough making livestock pay without fighting the government wolves too..

On the I am excited time,, I placed 7 more creamette eggs in the incubator.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    EJB!!!!

I found this while perusing Craigslist looking for deals.

This is a deal you cannot pass up...

I can picture you on the back of this pony in this saddle riding the range herding your chickens....

lead line pony gelding - $350 (River Falls)
    < >
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Pickett is an 8 year old Shetland pony gelding, very flashy, stands 40" tall. I have owned him two years and he has done very well as a lead line pony for me. He is wormed, recently and easily hoof trimming, has never had a problem with being on full pasture.
    We are cutting back on our ponies... we have four and just too many to handle.

We have never had anyone just ride him outright, we have always used him as a lead line.
    • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

( I have to admit I have amused myself for an hour or more picturing you herding the chickens... Have you thought of entering a Chicken roping contest at the local chicken rodeo?)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  7. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie, that is not my kind of horse. I don't personally do any chicken herding. It would undoubtedly be an upgrade from a donkey I think. River Falls is not too far from you. You could ride the little rascal home, and if he does not buck you off you would be home in a day or two.

8. holm26

holm26 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    I have badger problem!

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Maybe if you went and got that pony you could run the badgers. You could even practice "joisting" on the way back. I bet there would be a couple hundred road signs you could run through for practice...

If you decide to go the pony way. please wear an OSHA approved bike helmet and have people take and post pictures here for us to see....

Seriously

Badgers can be dealt with easily with leg hold traps they are not too smart.. (careful around your dogs) badgers are mean little guys..

10. holm26

holm26 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    I know I set a paw trap in the hole and haven't caught it yet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by