Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Is that all? I bet we have 3,245,902 at least! By the looks of our property, maybe 9-0-3.

I have a bounty on some ($*$)*# weasels!

2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Actually, I am thinking about getting a new fake owl to put out in the pasture, then having a little speaker to play real owl sounds. Maybe that will deter the vermin! Then again, it may scare the bajeebers out of my chickens!

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

OH NO!!

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble with weasels.

I have not had a "major" problem with weasels. However my Grandpa did when I was a kid. I remember him making a trap box for them. He made a small box 4x8 inches or so. sorry I did not measure it and Grandpa just threw the thing together.

He put a hole in the side of it about the size of a quarter or half dollar ( again sorry for the vagueness ) then drove a few nails into the box around the hole at an angle making a "funnel" of sharp points on the inside of the hole. The idea being the weasel could squeeze through the hole and the nails would dissuade him from coming back out.

He would put a small muskrat trap in the box, and chicken meat in the box and set the box out. ( the box was covered I think Grandpa hinged it, but he did not have duct tape and bungee cords....

I know he said the weasel or other small critter would go in the hole and be stuck in the box or kept there long enough to hit the pad on the trap. If you have ever tried trapping them in the open the problem is getting them to step on the pad.

I know this worked for Grandpa but I might have forgotten something, I know it was simple to make though.

4. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Sounds like you and Minnie need Holm's Badger for sure, Ralphie.

Those weasels are so sneaky. I had a juvenile one a few winters back....son took a crack at it with the .22 but I think we missed and we didn't see it again. I had noted blood on Roger's Leg one day but that's all the harm that saw from that thing. And he took down my mouse population too. Sounds like I was lucky for that matter.

Weasel Box plans I've seen sound like yours Ralphie. You explained it perfect BTW. Except in the plans that I saw there was a rat trap in the box with the raw/bloody meat as bait. And no mention of the "nail funnel." But I almost like that better than the rat trap.

5. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I was also going to just thank you Ralphie for explaining your rotten critter parts in the parentheses below. LOL.... [​IMG]

6. coldupnorth

coldupnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    N. MN
    I know our resident fisher/s have taken a toll on the area feral cat population. I've seen them on the chase and I don't think the cats have much chance. [​IMG] The fisher also enjoyed decimating my big beautiful Orpingtons 2 years ago. Strong little buggers - it carried a couple 15 lbs birds over the 6 ft high fence and across 10 acres into Jay Cooke State Park. Do not really want to meet them up close.

I'm sorry that your barn cats were the target at your house.

7. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    edited due to repeating exactly what Minnie said about Easter Eggers vs. Aracauna Labelling. I need to read first!

When I picked up my Easter Eggers, L & M had them labelled Aracauna! --some of the most difficult birds to attain from what I've read.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  8. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Hi Foxy! Getting any new chicks this year for that beautiful greenhouse/coop set up of yours?

9. rainin22

rainin22 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    St. Francis, MN
    Oh and also, I called a lady in Wisconsin who has salmon faverolles and she says that mereks should be done for every chick. I was doing some research online that said they introduced some chicks to vaccinated chicks and the unvaccinated ones ended up getting mereks because the virus was introduced through the vaccine. Is that a possibility? My chicks now seem very healthy and great, wouldn't want to endanger them with mereks =/

10. FoxyChicken

FoxyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    NE MN
    I've got Minnie on alert to send me some eggs as soon as my big australorp goes broody! She's been showing all the signs the past few days but she's not totally committed yet. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by