Minnesota!

I have 8 chicks so far.

One of the creamettes has pipped. However I am worried it has been pipped for 4 hours already.

I have 3 more that have pipped. one of them has been 12 hours. I am afraid it is dead... the other have been pipped about 4 hours also. ( not a good sign)

We had one that peeled around the air sac last night and then did nothing. I even though I dry hatch have been adding drops of water to keep the humidity around 75%. Even at that we decided to "help" the one that peeled last night. We got it out but the membrane had done the heat shrink thing to its head. We have it all broke off except for a little piece. That chick is weak and the outcome is doubtful.

It is so hard to do nothing but there is nothing we can do. Hopefully they will all be out in the morning. 7 of them are as healthy as can be.

Holms I am sorry to hear about your broody, it is doubly sad this close to the hatch date.

I have not had an egg from the creamettes in 2 days. I worry there too. Any ideas why they lay so seldom?

Ethel ran off for about 3 hours today I had no luck finding her. My DW is still being completely unreasonable about lending me her IPhone.

OMG, what a day! Got home from work this AM, checked on the chicks (all was good), did my chores, checked on the chicks an hour or so later and it was a bloodbath :eek:. The Cornish X chicks all had bloody tails and a lot of them had completely plucked tail feathers! I have no idea what started this, but the rest of my day was spent doctoring chicks. They have such light down that the blood is totally visible in their new feathers. None of the darker colored layers have had this issue (and my best guess is because the blood isn't visible in their dark feathers). Two weeks old tomorrow!

OMG, what a day! Got home from work this AM, checked on the chicks (all was good), did my chores, checked on the chicks an hour or so later and it was a bloodbath :eek:. The Cornish X chicks all had bloody tails and a lot of them had completely plucked tail feathers! I have no idea what started this, but the rest of my day was spent doctoring chicks. They have such light down that the blood is totally visible in their new feathers. None of the darker colored layers have had this issue (and my best guess is because the blood isn't visible in their dark feathers). Two weeks old tomorrow!

:hugs

LOL! I don't mind the geometry, but the algebra is just, well.......bleh.
sickbyc.gif
I'll take reading or art over math any day!
lol.png
You must be about 16. My son is doing his Algebra online and I coach him (I really do the teaching part most of the time ;) ) We are doing logarithims. We were both too tired tonight to tackle it though. It was fun to finally get to exponentials and compounding interest to see where algebra really does get used in the real world. Also, he wants to build guitars for a career, and you can't design things without using some Algebra and Geometry.

pasty seems to be an issue mostly for me when they get too chilly. I never have that problem with my own hatchlings, but shipped chicks get it a lot. I clean the butts and wipe a little vitamin E ointment on the vent and surrounding down to help keep the poo from sticking in the future. Seems to work great. I have 37 shipped chicks in the brooder right now. Lucky for me the last couple days while they were in transit it was nice out since the hatchery didn't send a heat pack with them this time (they did with the batch USPS lost in Feb, little good it did though - this shipment was my replacements for the loss on that shipment). Kinda glad that I have these babies for Easter weekend since what would have been my Easter hatch got fried when our friends' kids tampered with the incubator. Exciting thing about this shipment is they appear to have sent me a "mistake", but a rather happy mistake. I ordered bantam white crested polish and one of them is solid white! I am unsure if this was a picking mistake on their part (just reaching for a white crested head when packing) or if it is some kind of genetic anomaly. I'm really hoping for pullet though, cause I wanna keep it!
Maybe it was a bonus chick? You can have your crazy Polish though ;)

Ugh. Just got done depoopifying about half my new chick's butts.
sad.png
I noticed some breeds were worse than others. Is pasty butt more likely with some breeds more than others?
Do you use apple cider vinegar in their water? If not, try some for a couple of days and it should help with the pasty butt issue. I also noticed if I give vitamin drops to chicks, they tend to get pasty too.

I have 8 chicks so far.

One of the creamettes has pipped. However I am worried it has been pipped for 4 hours already.

I have 3 more that have pipped. one of them has been 12 hours. I am afraid it is dead... the other have been pipped about 4 hours also. ( not a good sign)

We had one that peeled around the air sac last night and then did nothing. I even though I dry hatch have been adding drops of water to keep the humidity around 75%. Even at that we decided to "help" the one that peeled last night. We got it out but the membrane had done the heat shrink thing to its head. We have it all broke off except for a little piece. That chick is weak and the outcome is doubtful.

It is so hard to do nothing but there is nothing we can do. Hopefully they will all be out in the morning. 7 of them are as healthy as can be.

Holms I am sorry to hear about your broody, it is doubly sad this close to the hatch date.

I have not had an egg from the creamettes in 2 days. I worry there too. Any ideas why they lay so seldom?

Ethel ran off for about 3 hours today I had no luck finding her. My DW is still being completely unreasonable about lending me her IPhone.
Well, this should make you feel good about your hatching this week...
I used bleach to clean my hatcher this week and must have had some that was in there still when I put eggs in to hatch. I don't think even 20% hatched and of the ones that did, I had to put down 3 and 2 died after drying, plus 2 others had their intestines pulled out part way. One chick had a weirdly bulging eye too.
Goes to show, even us 'big time' hatchers can have bad ju-ju going on sometimes.
I guess I will stop using bleach in that unit.

The funny thing is, I do a quick bleach solution rinse on all the eggs before they go in the incubator. Doesn't make sense to me, but it apparently does make sense to others I spoke with. I will go back to dish soap and then spray with an Oxine solution.

OMG, what a day! Got home from work this AM, checked on the chicks (all was good), did my chores, checked on the chicks an hour or so later and it was a bloodbath
ep.gif
. The Cornish X chicks all had bloody tails and a lot of them had completely plucked tail feathers! I have no idea what started this, but the rest of my day was spent doctoring chicks. They have such light down that the blood is totally visible in their new feathers. None of the darker colored layers have had this issue (and my best guess is because the blood isn't visible in their dark feathers). Two weeks old tomorrow!
Sorry to hear this! I know how frustrating that stuff is. Do you have BluKote? If not, get some. It is the quickest way to stop pecking on small spots when you can catch them, and it is awesome at helping to heal injuries. I am in amazement of how much it can do.

Well, this should make you feel good about your hatching this week...
I used bleach to clean my hatcher this week and must have had some that was in there still when I put eggs in to hatch. I don't think even 20% hatched and of the ones that did, I had to put down 3 and 2 died after drying, plus 2 others had their intestines pulled out part way. One chick had a weirdly bulging eye too.
Goes to show, even us 'big time' hatchers can have bad ju-ju going on sometimes.
I guess I will stop using bleach in that unit.

The funny thing is, I do a quick bleach solution rinse on all the eggs before they go in the incubator. Doesn't make sense to me, but it apparently does make sense to others I spoke with. I will go back to dish soap and then spray with an Oxine solution.

Nope didn't make me fee good about my hatch.. BUT it makes me sad for you and yours.
It stinks when stuff goes bad..

I did not wash the eggs with anything, I picked clean eggs and moved them to the incubator when I was ready for them. Are you suppose to wash them? Why? What about under a broody?

And I think the 8th chick that we had to help is going to make it. He/she is standing up and walking around, with the piece of egg shell still stuck to his/her head. I think we may have rushed it, but then maybe not. The membrane was heat shrinking, and the egg shell is still stuck to his head. But when we took him out I thought his belly was too full, like the yolk was not absorbed yet. His belly looks less full now.

BUT WOW what a runt. How can a chick that comes out of the same size egg as the rest be half the size of the others?

You must be about 16.  My son is doing his Algebra online and I coach him (I really do the teaching part most of the time ;) )  We are doing logarithims.  We were both too tired tonight to tackle it though.  It was fun to finally get to exponentials and compounding interest to see where algebra really does get used in the real world.  Also, he wants to build guitars for a career, and you can't design things without using some Algebra and Geometry. 

Yes, I'm around that age. (I can't say my actual age, it's against BYC rules.) That sounds like a good choice for a career! I play the guitar a little bit. (But I'm not very good.) At the moment I'm thinking of going into special effects for movies and such for my career, but I'll probably change my mind again before I hit collage.

Back
Top Bottom