Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. AmericanKraut

AmericanKraut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota
    I think we all agree here :)

2. AmericanKraut

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota
    That's right! I'll check with her once my chicks are bigger if she still has him. You think it's ok to introduce a rooster that didn't grow up with the flock? I guess it always depends on the individual bird.

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Do you have any other roosters?

Do it slowly with a cage within the pen/coop. (after the waiting period)....

I got 2 roosters from EJB, one has been taken into the as if he grew up there, other than he is a horny little bugger..

The other has been more of a struggle for me, he went from outsider to bully. I am still thinking jail time for him until he learns his place.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  4. AmericanKraut

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota

Good advice, makes sense. I don't have any, this batch of chicks was sexed as pullets but that's 90% so who knows. It'll be a bit yet until I see for sure. I don't want more than one roo so I'll wait that part out and see if any that I end up with is a jerk or not.

5. Cearbhael

Cearbhael Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    I agree that large industrial poultry operations invite trouble by:
    1. No BioDiversity
    2. Crowded Confinement
    3. No feed diversity.

We have been warned many times that...especially in America we have a severe lack of bio diversity. Let's face it folks that is why we do what we do! Try to salvage heritage breeds and use bio diversity in our gardens and in our feeding methods. I am sure that I am NOT the only one that shops seed savers, heritage seed, and grow heirloom tomatoes etc.
    My paddock is huge and loaded with diverse plants. Clover, alfalfa, Timothy, catnip, nettle, wild phlox, dandelion, Canadian thistle etc. I also have black raspberries (been around since I was a child and I am 65 now) and blackberries all along the fence line as well as a grape arbor ( well HAD an Arbor is more accurate since it is broken.) The grape vine is still there and clambers the fence, coop and trees. The enclosed runs will be large and covered for arial predator protection. They will have access to all the plants that grow under their feet (and the bugs) Since I do have a fairly busy road in front, and one neighbor to the side, I will probably never truly free range but doubt they will notice any difference, if I let them out of the runs to roam the paddock. My population will always be small flock. Hmmm. Thinking I need to plant a small tree or two inside the paddock for shade. We have a large apple tree on the eastern side of the paddock, so they get morning shade there and woods on the west give them late afternoon shade but the south needs a small tree or two!!

1 person likes this.
  6. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    sounds fabulous. nothing better than fresh grape juice!

And now that spring seems to be here, nettles are just around the corner - so good steamed with a little butter. I have a friend who used to live where there were lots of wild ramps, she didn't care for them so I got to pick a mess every spring. still miss them.

anyway, sounds like great pickings for your future chickens!

7. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I'm flattered you are interested in those chicks @americankraut. They are quite cute. Not sure if my friend wants to keep them or not. She may have them spoken for. I think they both are chipmunkish...but one has a white dot too! Confusing! Triplells rooster is very nice and was respectful in the pen while we were there to get his girls. My two kids were in there too. He's a good nice boy and obviously very fertile. He's quite handsome and in good shape. He's one year old here just in March I believe. Plus you'd be helping her out.

8. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the CLBs aka creamettes chicks in a fluffier version. Darling little wee petites!

9. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    I went out on a mission to find a young handsome rooster today and came back empty handed.

1 person likes this.
  10. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    That's too bad, Cyrus. Are you still looking for a SLW? I've been asking around, but no luck yet.

Cearbahl & La la - I do a lot of the same kind of stuff as you in the way of growing things for the hens & foraging. Nettles, asparagus, morels, oh my!

We are getting some much-needed rain here. Good night, all -

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by