Minnesota!

That's great to hear!  The salmon faverolle I got from you is he/she large fowl or bantam?  The ones I just got are all bantam.  The polish are bantam too.  It's weird because I've just ended up with a lot of bantam breeds even though I originally wanted all large fowl.  It's hard to resist their cuteness.  

Those were LF. I too am addicted to bantams. That's why I didn't keep any of those favs for myself. I thought long and hard about it cause they are so pretty. But I might try to get some bantam next year if I have room. Too many new chicks this year to get any more. I have cut myself off with 4 new breeds.

Rainin, it is one of the worst experience of your life. With dogs, you feel so helpless and they depend so much on you.

At my age, I have had it happen many times in my life. It never gets easier, I dread each time. Bogtown's dog has really hit me hard as her dog looks just like mine. It too is trained to hunt and leaves the chickens alone, and actually protects them from predators. This is a major feat for a lab.

My older dog is ten this year. I tried to breed her a couple years ago and she did not take but went into a false pregnancy, because of that we found a tumor on her uterus. I had it removed and a hysterectomy preformed. I look at her and thank God for every day I get. She is losing hair and just does not look good at times. My dogs are lap dogs, I hold them every night while I watch TV. There are nights I do not want to hold her, but I know my days of holding her are limited.

With dogs you have to weigh the cost of vet care versus how many more days you are going to get it is hard. I do not have EJB's unlimited monies, so I have to be careful with what I do. The last dog we did euthanasia on. it was hard. She had Cushing's disease and we had spent 4 grand on her and she was scared to go to the vet, she would actually shake and cry when we drove in the parking lot. I could not put her through that. I set up a gas chamber and laid her in it and used carbon monoxide to put her to sleep for a painless death. It was better than the vet and a needle I think.

As I said it is hard, I hope your dogs have a long happy life. Sorry this story got so long. I guess I needed it to help prepare for my dogs demise.

Here's the thing with these dogs. This dog was a hunting dog, we realized she was a dog. We did a few extra things for her health and comfort within our budget. But we did not see the need to go down the rabbit hole with expensive vet care that would only give us the same outcome.
Sorry if I offend anybody: but We did not dress her up in Ugly sweaters for Christmas or put boots on her in -30F (although I saw her lift her paws and she may have appreciated it.) She had an outdoor kennel but it rarely got used because she weedled her way into the house and into our hearts with her unconditional of love. She accompanied us on walks down our country road, and busted her butt every time she was in the duck blind or out in a pheasant field. Dropping at the end of the day with exhaustion. But we knew she loved every minute of it and gave it all her heart. Such an athlete. The fact that she knew how to behave around chickens amazed me and showed me her passion for pleasing me. So Amazing to go against one's nature. She'd settle fights between the kids, making them take pause and giggle at her. She'd lick tears dry, in a concerned fashion. She sat under the laundry line and watch me hang clothes. Her favorite spot was to lay right up against the stove so I had to cook over her. What a pain, and always in the way...but I'm going to miss that soft fur on my toes, stirring the pots. She watched me do everything...She was interested in our lives always. The rhythms of our house and routines are completely messed up. DH said this morning, "I missed her this morning because I didn't hear her scratch to come back in after going out potty. So I didn't wake up right when I was suppose to." And you can say it was "just a dog" but if you have a soul you know they are more.

The Canine chiropractor called this AM to express his sympathy. He and the vet pow-wowed about her last night on the phone. They both reached an agreement that it was something that went wrong in the brain. Embolism or a tumor. It was out of all of our hands. And we did everything we could and within reason along the way.
Ralphie I don't envy your day that is coming. It completely sucks. We are puddles around here. But today was better than yesterday. And you have us if and when you need.

Many of the animals up here will test positive for Lyme or other tick disease antibodies and fight it off naturally. My vet won't even run the test and charge unless my dog has symptoms. He says it's almost certainly going to be positive around here. As it turned out we had our first symptoms this winter. He gave a call tonight to chat about what happened. That guy is pure gold.
Thank you LaLa. Your words are much appreciated.

It's been such a long day. I'm heading to bed.

Well, considering the monetary value of our Arabs. (Insured for 25,000 each) my vet tested and made sure she was on top of everything. We only lost two, our black foundation mare (Major loss there) from a stupid accident. She was running in a sleet storm and miscalculated her ability to turn at the fence. She slipped and slammed her head into a t post, killing her instantly. The second major loss was our stallion. We lost him when there was a fire in the stallion/training barn where he was boarded. 10 people lost their horses to that fire. It was a very terrible event, and though I have a video due to insurance need, I have yet to watch it. It has been over 5 years but I had my heart and soul invested in those beautiful animals. My "heart horse" is still alive and in Arizona expecting a new foal this spring. The foundation mare we lost,was my mother's heart horse. Terrible grief over losing her.
So yeah, Our vet was very thorough, and if our filly hadn't rallied she would have been treated with all the latest Lyme disease treatments just like a person would. (Even if it hadn't mattered to us, it would have mattered to the insurance company)

Oh yes. Understood. Each animal/value/budget needs to be considered.
smile.png

One thing though I think I meant to get past in point is that I've been to vet's offices where they'll run that test on healthy dogs (albeit positive for the antibodies) and charge up the bill. They are good vets and just going with an office protocol, but if they are really good & conscientious and they know their area they'll know how to keep the bill lower for their customers. Just saying to my BYC folks that it's ok to say "No test" unless you are suspicious of an illness. Because if you live on the "Tick Belt" of MN chances are the test is positive anyways, and they've fought off the disease.

Good point Bogtown Chick! I hate unnecessary expenses! Money doesn't grow on trees.
Just found out from my neighbour that we have a red tailed hawk AND a bald eagle hunting our backyards. He lives next door on the property my parents sold him (about 1.5 acres) I have 1 acre and we are smack at the end of town. Nothing behind us but woods, brook, and marshland. To the west of me I have 2 acres of woods and brook before my next neighbour. The woods and marshland are floodplain so no one will ever build near us, in the back. Of course we have tons of wildlife, pheasant, and rabbits! The very thing that attracts, fox, owls, hawks and eagles. We also have a good sized deer population. I hear we also have coyotes and I Know we have Bobcat.
Anyway, these two (the one hawk and the eagle) are not hunting the woods, the are hunting our backyards, so I have to be super careful not to let our cats get outside. I lost one cat to coyotes back in the 70s so I am aware that small pets are prey to larger predators. Haven't kept outdoor cats since. I let the feral cats prowl for vermin. We have LOTS of feral cats, and they prowl our properties daily due to the huge numbers of birds, rabbits and field mice etc. keeps them fat and sassy, and they, along with the fox, owls, hawks and eagles keep the populations of rodents in line.
It does mean, of course, building very sturdy runs with covering that will protect chickens from sharp raptor eyesight.

Whew!! I just tried to catch up on all the posts that I missed being gone a couple days.

Bogtown-I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you had one heck of a family member. Thank you for sharing her story with us.

Wecome to the new comers!! The Minnesota thread has a lot of great folks with loads of info!
Hooray for eggs hatching and chicks/poults coming!

Ralphie-how much do you think your diamond encrusted creamette is worth now?

Hatch day in 06 May.

On 03 May the incubator goes on lock-down and eggs are taken out of the turner?
Do I still need to rotate then twice per day?
And what about adding water for humidty, to keep at 65%

Have a great rainy weekend, everyone!

Hatch day in 06 May.

On 03 May the incubator goes on lock-down and eggs are taken out of the turner?
Do I still need to rotate then twice per day?
And what about adding water for humidty, to keep at 65%

Have a great rainy weekend, everyone!
When you lockdown, that means no turning, and only open to add water if needed. Don't pull chicks unless you have to until the hatch is done. IF you need to open it, make it quick and as little as you must to do what you have to do and get out. If it is a foam incubator, lifting the top even a little allows heat and humidity to escape, and that every time that is done will have an impact on the eggs yet to hatch. If you start getting moisture collecting on the windows, pull the red plugs out to let the excess escape. As the chicks hatch, that moisture off their bodies will add to, so that would be why you need to open the vents. Watch the humidity reading though and put the plugs back if it drops below 60%.
Good luck!

T

The colleague who sold the eggs to me told me thay are standard but not the breed. I suppose I have to hunt her down at some point ... Any thoughts what breed these gals are?

I think I see a Gold laced wyandotte, a Silver laced wyandotte, 2 Blue laced wyandottes, possibly 3 Easter Eggers? Maybe a buff orpington (just left of the Silver laced wyandotte who is half off of the screen. but I'd need to see a better photo of her and the EE's) Can't see the one all the way on the left. Not sure about the rooster, Rhode Island red?

edited to add: didn't see the white one in the back, not sure on that one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom