Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Won't the roosts fold up?

2. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2015
    North Dakota
    Yes but then they can't get into the nest boxes. I fold the roosts up to teach the chickens how to lay eggs in the boxes

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Do you free range? If you do not free range for a while and keep them in a run and coop they will use the boxes. Make sure they have nothing more attractive to nest in.

You will have to block them from the nest boxes at night. It might help to make roosts that are more attractive than the nests.

Put them higher than the nests give them a ladder to get up there.

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Could you tell by my snarky answer I am not a fan of the state fair? Actually I would love it if I could be the only one there, or just with you guys and my DW and kids. BUT I will not buy their food! I am just too cheap.

5. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2015
    North Dakota
    yes I free range, the only other place for them to lay is in the barn because one side of the barn doesn't have a door,

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Do you have a way to stop free ranging for a few weeks?

7. Cearbhael

Cearbhael Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    I had a pet ferret and tend to love those long bodied pranksters (Fishers, Minks, Ferrets, Weasels,..) They are all the same ilk, and they are incredible predators, with jaws of steel and shoulder and chest muscles like a Rotweiller!! My ferret grabbed my finger when he was behind my couch and I was on my couch with my hand dangling over the back! When he pulled the couch back was suddenly under my armpit causing massive bruises. No matter how hard I pulled I could not budge him or free my finger, but when he pulled, he could definitely budge me! It was incredibly painful and I was sure I was going to have to go to the hospital for a lacerated finger. Amazingly, he was being gentle (???) and didn't even break the skin. I knew they were strong but WOW!!! I was helpless and at this little guys mercy!!

8. FoxyChicken

FoxyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    NE MN
    More baby pictures!!!! Thanks to Minniechickmama for the eggs!

Meredith teaching the EE's how to eat
    [​IMG]

The Buckeye
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    A few months ago I was complaining that I didn't have a rooster. Now I have 3, possibly 4. Would anyone from the forest lake area be interested in a marans cockerel?

10. jbenson

jbenson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012
    Lost 4 chicks to cocci tho see. I am disappointed in the birds I got from welp this spring. I have never ever had a cocci issue. And the only birds to struggle with it this year are the ones from welp. Two of 4 brooder pens are on corrid to try to stem this. Lost 2 barred cochin (1 pulley, 1 cockerel) 1 polish and 1 white face black Spanish. Most bummed about the Spanish. Have been checking every morning for tainted droppings and doing massive frequent cleanings and medicating and still lost them. I think it is the poor genetics making them vulnerable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by