Minnesota!

This is my nest box, along with some pictures of additional roosts, there's also roosts in front of the nest boxes

Won't the roosts fold up?

Yes but then they can't get into the nest boxes. I fold the roosts up to teach the chickens how to lay eggs in the boxes

Do you free range? If you do not free range for a while and keep them in a run and coop they will use the boxes. Make sure they have nothing more attractive to nest in.

You will have to block them from the nest boxes at night. It might help to make roosts that are more attractive than the nests.

Put them higher than the nests give them a ladder to get up there.

lord Ralphie, you always make me laugh!

the little legbar is holding her own, but I'm not sure how. She has a semi full crop....tomorrow I will be here in daylight and can check to see if it went down overnight.
And with all these broodies, egg production is way way down. Would love a game cam to see how they are defending the nests but still getting eggs from the others! They have created their own nests, some of them just have one egg, some a handful. Silly girls!

Could you tell by my snarky answer I am not a fan of the state fair? Actually I would love it if I could be the only one there, or just with you guys and my DW and kids. BUT I will not buy their food! I am just too cheap.

Do you free range?  If you do not free range for a while and keep them in a run and coop they will use the boxes. Make sure they have nothing more attractive to nest in.

You will have to block them from the nest boxes at night. It might help to make roosts that are more attractive than the nests.

Put them higher than the nests give them a ladder to get up there.  
yes I free range, the only other place for them to lay is in the barn because one side of the barn doesn't have a door,

holm- I hope that cute little weasel doesn't show up at your place to thank you by killing your whole flock.  They don't take just one, they kill everything in the pen.  I suppose it would depend on how far from my home I was if I saw one though, I might be swayed too.  Wild animals have a right to live their lives, but for me it is just so long as they do not infringe on mine.

Oh, and you think it was scared?  It was just trying to figure out if it could bite your neck and suck your blood out before you could get it. It must have realized you were too big to take down with his clan.  I don't mean to sound mean.  Those are just the nastiest predator a poultry person can have.

I had a pet ferret and tend to love those long bodied pranksters (Fishers, Minks, Ferrets, Weasels,..) They are all the same ilk, and they are incredible predators, with jaws of steel and shoulder and chest muscles like a Rotweiller!! My ferret grabbed my finger when he was behind my couch and I was on my couch with my hand dangling over the back! When he pulled the couch back was suddenly under my armpit causing massive bruises. No matter how hard I pulled I could not budge him or free my finger, but when he pulled, he could definitely budge me! It was incredibly painful and I was sure I was going to have to go to the hospital for a lacerated finger. Amazingly, he was being gentle (???) and didn't even break the skin. I knew they were strong but WOW!!! I was helpless and at this little guys mercy!!

Lost 4 chicks to cocci tho see. I am disappointed in the birds I got from welp this spring. I have never ever had a cocci issue. And the only birds to struggle with it this year are the ones from welp. Two of 4 brooder pens are on corrid to try to stem this. Lost 2 barred cochin (1 pulley, 1 cockerel) 1 polish and 1 white face black Spanish. Most bummed about the Spanish. Have been checking every morning for tainted droppings and doing massive frequent cleanings and medicating and still lost them. I think it is the poor genetics making them vulnerable.

Back
Top Bottom