Minnesota!

sorry to hear you lost some of your birds @jbenson !! And to be so diligent with things and still lost them really stinks! Are things looking better now? I don't know much about cocci. Just the little bits I have read here. From my understanding it is a parasite, right? (just read that yesterday) Saw our L&M had corrid today so DH said best to get it and not need it than need it and not have it. Oh and they had Blukote so I got some of that too.

sorry to hear you lost some of your birds @jbenson !! And to be so diligent with things and still lost them really stinks! Are things looking better now? I don't know much about cocci. Just the little bits I have read here. From my understanding it is a parasite, right? (just read that yesterday) Saw our L&M had corrid today so DH said best to get it and not need it than need it and not have it. Oh and they had Blukote so I got some of that too.

I will keep monitoring them. The birds that got it had it pretty bad. When I first noticed it, there were small droppings with some blood in them, but they were on medicated food and chicks I had earlier this spring from Welp had the same thing and got through it just fine, so I didn't medicate with Corrid, I just cleaned up the brooders frequently to try to prevent spread. This batch got bad quickly. Went from just a little to full on big bloody spots in the brooder bedding - at first I thought one of them was injured. I treated, but apparently for the ones I lost this week, I was a little too late. With the passing of the cat last week, I probably wasn't quite as vigilant about cleaning brooders as I could have been, which might have made it progress faster. But I deep cleaned all the brooders the other day and noticed that right away there was bloody droppings, so in those two brooders everyone is on Corrid. The other brooders are on medicated starter still, so I'll just keep watching them. I am hoping not to loose any more. Most of the rest of the birds looked like they were feeling okay (when they get real sick with cocci, they puff up their feathers and kinda hunch down and look pretty sad. I noticed that in the cockerel, his comb got a bit pale too. I tried drenching him (Corrid mixed up for severe outbreak levels and given directly too them with a syringe in the mouth) cause I could tell he was sick, but it was already too late - he was gone in the morning. I feel pretty badly about it knowing I could have been more vigilant. However, sometimes life gets in the way. I can always get more of them from McMurray if I want more at a later time I guess.

I got attacked by a dang cockerel tonight! I walked into the coop to check the water before putting them to bed. At first he was pecking my shoe and then my pant leg so I shooed him off. Then I squatted down to check the waterer and the little bleeper attacked my arm! It hurt!!! Guess who will be chicken dinner when he gets big enough? No tolerance for that here. I have a 2 and 4 year old who also need to have free range . . .

@jbenson So sorry for your losses :( I just had one recover from what I think was cocci. she was down. I had to feed her the corid water with a syringe as well, about 10cc every hour and a half for the first day until she was able to drink when I put her beak in the water. She is better, but not quite 100 percent yet.

I have 6 chickens in a 4x6 coop and a 10.5 x 6.5 run. I'm going to make the run bigger as i've had some issues that I believe are related to over crowding. I think the adage of 1 bird for 4 square feet in the henhouse and 1 per 10 square feet in the run is not enough room. (in my case anyways).

One of my SLW's is the number one (Morticia), the other one (Mother) is 2nd from the bottom. funny story though, Mother got her name because in the brooder she would run around and if anyone was pecking at anything she would peck their beaks to get them to stop. so she'd hear someone peck, she'd run over there "stop that" then the next one would peck something, she'd run over "stop that" this went on constantly. that is how she is "mother". She outgrew that though and is gentle and nice now.

One day, 67 posts to read on here, crazy!

I got attacked by a dang cockerel tonight! I walked into the coop to check the water before putting them to bed. At first he was pecking my shoe and then my pant leg so I shooed him off. Then I squatted down to check the waterer and the little bleeper attacked my arm! It hurt!!! Guess who will be chicken dinner when he gets big enough? No tolerance for that here. I have a 2 and 4 year old who also need to have free range . . .

How old is he?

If you pick him up put him under your arm and walk around with him like he is a lap dog, petting him and monkeying with his head he will hate it and learn he is inferior. BUT he would also taste good.

JJ and Ed where having a dispute tonight, when it got too carried away and I thought they might hurt each other I went over and picked up JJ put him under my arm and carried him back to my chair and beer. I held and petted him for about 10 minutes. he hates when I play with his snood and wattle, so I played with them. I wanted to reinforce in him he is not boss. He is extremely friendly and sub servant to humans. HOWEVER, when my grand kids come I always make sure I stay between JJ and the kids. If they pet him, I am holding JJ.

ED just runs from me. He understands his place in society is just one step above Ole, I am not sure why he decided to fight JJ, it normally does not happen.

Last edited:
We r going to be on our way to get Cochin's and Muscovy's from Triplell!!!! I am so excited!!

Back
Top Bottom