Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. What do you give chickens for weeping eyes. I have been giving her cider vinegar in her water.
    I have been hoping it would go away. I have been wiping them and then she is fine for a little while until the right one closes again and then I have to wipe them again.

2. What the hell!!! So sorry. I do not understand people like this at all. So self serving. Never caring of others. No empathy. Can't stand them.
    Quote:

1 person likes this.
  3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    According to the sources I used when I got started, you should base the coop square footage on if the birds are confined for any extended time. It should be 10 sqft per LF bird and 4 sqft per bantam, then if you have a run they have access to in winter, then you can reduce the coop size. For some, their birds won't leave the coop in winter and I would hate to see someone plan their coop based on 4 sqft and have them closed in all winter and pecking and eating feathers because they are overcrowded. Just wanted to make that point clear.

2 people like this.
  4. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    What breed? I have Cochins that get a little saggy around the eyes and get crusties I have to clean.
    I had a Cochin who kept getting gooby eyes, and I read about Thieve's Oil. I tried it after I cleaned her eyes up good, giving a little spray over the front of her head, so not to get it in her eyes, then rubbed it around the eyes. She cleared up in 3 days and it never came back. She may have just a low grade problem or it could be allergy type stuff she has going on. I am sold on the Thieve's though. I even used it this weekend when I came down with a lovely cold. I have the cold, but it seems to be moving along quite quickly.

2 people like this.
  5. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    I agree with the pecking order not in line too. I enjoyed your sharing of your flock's dynamics. And yes I can tell the some of them apart by their voice. Like I know which rooster is crowing. Too funny how you guys can say something and I am here nodding my head saying 'yep me too'!

I have a question on what 'normal' behavior would be for a 12 week rooster. I know that some breeds mature faster than others so maybe this is one of those situations. I obviously could tell the welsummer roosters early on. They were also the first to crow. Besides being kinda bossy they have not really done anything else. One of the cuckoo marans pullets turned out to be a roo. I figured early on it was a roo. He was always just big but not really bossy or anything. Yesterday and today I watched him do the 'circle around the hen kickin' his heels up' dance. Again he is only 12 weeks (along with everyone else in the coop) so is he really trying to sow his oats already? I watched the other rooster (lakenvelder) clapping his wings today but the maran was right there. Also the maran jumped on a brahma and acted like mating (no actual contact) but I was thinking the brahma was a male so it is dominance act right? Is this behavior normal at this age or is he showing that he is aggressive and I should act now not later kinda thing? I am waiting patiently for the new hampshire rooster to start developing. That was the one DH wants to keep so I hope that his slower maturity is a good thing. Slower may just mean he is right on target with his brood mates right?

6. Thanks. Where would I purchase Thieve ' s inside the city

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  7. Scott16475

Scott16475 Chillin' With My Peeps

Posting an update on the combining of two groups of chickens (one group of 4 year old hens that I received last spring and a 2nd group of 8 week old hens that I received, well, 8 weeks ago).

Two weeks ago I moved the rabbit hutch where the baby chicks are living (I removed the legs of the hutch so it's at ground level) out to the part of the yard where the 4 adult hens live. The four hens were interested in these new chicks for roughly 2 minutes before moving on and forgetting about them. Yesterday morning I decided to let the six chicks out of the hutch to mingle with the older hens to see what would happen. I took precaution by allowing multiple places for the younger chicks to run and hide if it became necessary.

One of the older hens pecked a younger one on the head once. That's it. That was the extent of the issues. I kept a close eye on the chickens all day yesterday but it was smooth sailing. Last night I put the six chicks back into the hutch as I've read allowing them to sleep in the coop together can still be dangerous to the younger chicks until they are the same size. I got up this morning, opened the coop to allow the adult chickens out and then I let the six chicks out of the hutch. Again, nothing in way of issues. In fact, I just came inside from checking on things and they are all laying together in the run staying dry from the rain.

Not sure if my four adult Black Australorps are more easy going and welcoming or what the deal is, but I'm very happy the new pecking order fell right into place. I'm assuming of course the new pecking order has already taken place.

1 person likes this.
  8. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    Lucky guy! My introductions are not going so well. Our Australorps seem to be quite interested in the chicks and haven't ever been aggressive towards them. However, some of the other chickens are downright mean! The turkey poults are too dumb to even run away from them so no unsupervised time here. I hope you have continued good luck :)

9. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Wow Scott that sounds great! Glad to hear things are going smoothly. Do you put the hutch the chicks are in inside the coop at night or is it outside? I like your plan of action.

10. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    You can order thieves oil online or from a distributer, possibly pick it up from a natural food place? Make sure you put it in a carrier oil (like olive oil), I don't know the ratio though, perhaps Minniechickmama can help with that, or you can find it online? My sister sells Young Living oils, but there are other companies out there as well you can look at. maybe you can go online and find a seller.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by