Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Thanks Cluckies. I didn't realize it was a co-op type oil. I can stop by one and pick that up.

Minnie. She is an EE. I forgot to mention that.

Nice Scott. Maybe having them close for a while but keeping them seperated really worked! I always worry I might lose a chicken and well have to add one to the flock. Because I am in the city and I only have a permit for 5 so I need to keep them at that level.

2. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I'm not sure if all co-ops have them, but some might...

3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I ordered it online through eBay. I bet you can find someone around the Twin Cities that sells it though. Maybe someone in the group even knows where to find it locally? It smells wonderful too! Like Christmastime!
    In the meantime, you could use VetRx and use a Q-tip and wipe around the area too. It has some of the same oils and can help some, whether it will clear it up, I don't know.

1 person likes this.
  4. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Of those breeds, I would say keep either the NH or a Welsummer around. Personally, I would get rid of the Lakenvelder before he has a chance to rip into someone. I haven't met one yet that wasn't nasty. We had them when I was a kid and I wouldn't be hurt if the whole breed went extinct. I don't know why we had them either, they were all nasty, people attacking birds. The fact you got them from a big hatchery(if I remember correctly), you won't really know who is best to keep though until they mature a bit.
    At 12-weeks, they are basically teenaged idiots. No offense to the teens in the group! Imagine a hormonally charged 16-year old boy, that is what you are seeing. Your little man is trying to put some moves on, but if a hen responded, he wouldn't know what to do with it. Next comes the part where they grab the girls by the head but again, have no clue. That age is best to put with an experienced hen who doesn't take crap off any of the boys, regardless of age. Kind of a like a Betty White hen ;)
    Some males have surpressed hormones when they are with more dominant males. I have even had a BLRW cockerel that I knew was male, but barely showed comb, barely showed male feathering, and he was at least 9-months old. He was in with a pen that included a very dominant other cockerel. When breeding season kicked in (late Winter), almost overnight, his comb reddened and got big and his feathers came quick. Perhaps that is the case with you NH.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  5. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I bought mine in ready to use 1oz spray bottles. Just one or two spritzes is enough per use. I even used it on my arms this weekend to see if it would chase off this rotten cold!

2 people like this.
  6. Scott16475

Scott16475 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you. I hope the 'easygoing' continues. Not sure how fast the new pecking order falls into place so I'm not 100% ready to call it a success but I'm happy it's going well for now.

Good luck to you with your introduction. I doubt I'll ever do this again as I doubt I'll get this lucky again.

7. Scott16475

Scott16475 Chillin' With My Peeps

I leave the hutch outside as it's rather large but I think I'll put it in the coop tonight and we'll see what happens.

8. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    Happy Memorial Day!

Let's hope the rain holds off for awhile. The chickens were in the coop most of the day yesterday (their choice) so when I let them out today they rushed me, haha!

9. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Thanks Minnie!

10. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Yes, vet RX, just put it on them, rub it over there eyes. I got mine at the ramsey feed, I think they have it at tractor supply, but not sure.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by