Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    yes to lice and mite issues.

If you have that problem, you can use either wood ash or flower & poultry dust.
    With wood ash, you thoroughly rub the ash into the feathers all over the bird, espec under wing, by the vent, and behind the neck.

With the flower and poultry dust, I found it easiest to use an old nylon stocking (this entails a trip to the gas station or dollar store for a stocking or knee high stocking), pour the dust into the toe/foot sock part, tie it off and use like a powder puff, again trying to get close to the skin of the bird.

clean out all the bedding. sprinkle the poultry dust especially in corners/crevices. even in the nest boxes. Put fresh bedding on top. retreat the entire flock in about 7 -10 days.

You can add flowers of sulphur (pure sulpur powder) to the feed. You can also dip the hens in a sulfur dip, but that is best for warmer weather for obvious reasons.

this summer, pick yarrow, tansy, wormwood, mint, marigold petals and dry them. they are great to add to a broody's nest, or the nest boxes as a repellant.,

wild birds/pigeons carry them and can bring them to your flock. Normally, your flock takes care of this via dust bathing. IF all of their dust bathing spots are out in the open (versus under a coop or somewhere dry, they haven't had a good chance in the past couple of weeks perhaps.

some people use sevin dust, the poultry dust is from a chrysanthemum derivitive. Still toxic, but less than the sevin dust. The poultry dust knocks them out right away. Wood ash has been equally effective for me.

don't mess around if you have chicks with mites or lice as they can take a chick down very quickly.

And love the coop! how lucky to have such a great outbuilding.

1 person likes this.
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

BC I hope you have found your creamette. One of them missing would schmuck. Good luck..

And I forgot everything else I was going to say...Od age stinks!

I remember it was something for holm, and someone else.. Oh well, it might come back to me, I have to run I have things to do, I am making voodoo dolls and homemade pins for them today in the image of my renters....CYA

3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]

I woke up to 2 new babies under my broody!! The first to hatch is in the bator. Her nest was stolen by an evil orp hen and she smushed his pipped egg.

2 people like this.
  4. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    And my goslings. They r already lawn mowers.

5. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Dangit the pic didn't upload[​IMG]

6. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]

7. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Nice big building! You could partition that off great for brooders and separate pens if needed, very nice.

8. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    I think I saw it on FB myself and was like THIS IS IT! My new avatar. Seems like something I would do, too.

1 person likes this.
  9. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    What a great building! There's so much you can do with it, too. Post pictures as you go!

10. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    Nice building! Wish I had that much space!!! Have fun renovating :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by