Minnesota!

The first thing I recommend, PAINT IT!  By painting the inside, you will seal off many of the places that creepy crawlies can hid.  OSB gives them LOTS of places to do that.  It cal also brighten up the inside of the coop for them and you.  If you have chickens at some point you will have lice.  I also recommend using cedar for roosts, in case you hadn't read that earlier, but don't paint those.  Paint and poly coat doesn't stay on cedar well.

What kind of paint, color would you recommend? I'like the natural look :)

thumbsup.gif
Linoleum helps with clean up

Yah...I forget the hormone adds to the toughness, too. Good Point Minnie. But then any bird using muscles even for a few months is going to be different then those poor souls sitting in big Poultry barns and cages with no where to go.

I'm used to cooking down Wild Turkey meat. It's just different if they're walking around and exercising.

I use the glueless vinyl flooring. You have to tack the edges down or bedding and poop get scootched under and cause a PITA. The vinyl is easier to clean, it saves the wood floor from wet and rotting, and even in winter I am able to get the frozen poop off from it.

When I say tack down, I use a cedar 2x2 all around the edges and screw that down snug. Again, cedar has rot and insect resistent qualities, so it is my choice for anything I don't paint.

Last edited:
The first thing I recommend, PAINT IT! By painting the inside, you will seal off many of the places that creepy crawlies can hid. OSB gives them LOTS of places to do that. It cal also brighten up the inside of the coop for them and you. If you have chickens at some point you will have lice. I also recommend using cedar for roosts, in case you hadn't read that earlier, but don't paint those. Paint and poly coat doesn't stay on cedar well.

Why do you recommend cedar? I still haven't made my roosts and haven't heard of using cedar before. I should really paint the inside of my coop, too.

Fantastic coop, scandiafowl. Question on heat. I wouldn't. Heat goes out and they die because they didn't adapt to the cold. I turn on a lizard light when it gets in the -0. I have it mounted where the chickens or flammable objects can't get to close.
I also have areas at the bottom and at the top that allow for airflow so humidity won't build up. Seems to be the villain when it comes to frostbite with chickens. But my coop is tiny compared to yours.

Back
Top Bottom