Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. FoxyChicken

FoxyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    NE MN
    I can't get enough of these babies!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  2. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    FoxyChicken, too cute! I'm hoping we have a few broody hens who will raise chicks for us next Spring!

3. gofeedthegirls

gofeedthegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2015
    Thief River Falls, MN
    Foxy, that middle picture had me laughing!

2 people like this.
  4. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    sweet! nothing better than chicks and a broody. I could watch them 24/7!

That little creamette legbarI have that has been ill is still with us, but I can't imagine for long. Eats, poops, but is weak. am guessing she has tumors doing something internally. She is still alert, interested...but sometimes has to wing walk and nap. It seems like it is a hard week for tripell's creamettes

5. FoxyChicken

FoxyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    NE MN
    After having a broody hatch and raise these chicks, I can't imagine doing it any other way! Unless you're doing it on a larger scale of course. No worrying about incubators and their temperature and humidity, and then no worries about heat lamps and fires. The chicks just seem so much healthier and mom is teaching them everything, plus they're already a part of the flock! It's a win-win-win situation.

1 person likes this.
  6. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    It's official. No Fern tonight again. I'm thinking tourist dog over the weekend or bird of prey. Sickening. But a sad realization of free ranging. I wouldn't do it any other way though. The birds get so much from it and are so happy. The losses for me have been two birds in over 3 years.

One thing I noted though is that Roger is taking the girls over to the neighbors. That bin that the bear is hugging is a corn feeder for deer and guess what is laying on the ground over there? Corn!

So they are spending their day loading up on chicken crack. Ruining my good diet efforts for them with mainly formulated feed and free range natural goodies. And when the neighbors are up there is a yellow lab hunting dog there. He stays home but if chickens are over there... Well... This is my own fault then. They still come running when I get home but seeing them come from over there disheartens me. Maybe I'll ask to put a low fence around the feed. That allows the deer but dissuades my flock.

7. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Sorry, to hear, she is not home. I had my fingers crossed for you.

I am torn to by the creamettes. I like free ranging, but am afraid to free range them. Or Thelma and Louise. I know they would like it but i am not ready to let them be eagle food yet.

8. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Oh Bogtown! I am sorry to hear that! How unfortunate! It always seems to be the favored ones that go first.

9. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Thanks Ralphie. They are a convenient size for birds of prey. My other loss was a bantam. Standard birds--never had an issue.

DH thinks I'm presumptuous to ask the neighbors to put in the low fence. I don't know what else to do other than boxing them in their run or running miles of fencing around mine.

10. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I'm sorry to hear that BC.

Ralph I won't free range my rooster from Triplell. I am scared that will be the one birds I miss to an eagle hawk or some other varmint. We did have owl issues last year and in February but that's it for predators

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by