Minnesota!

If you do add light to the coop it's best to add the extra light in the am instead of evening hours. You want them to go to roost at usual time. What I did was run a strand of Christmas lights in the coop and have them on a timer, gives off just enough light.
With 6 hens and straw lined walls I think they will be fine without heat. Adding a heat source more often than not can cause issues (fire hazard, power goes out and hens get cold since they are used to heat...) Keep it ventilated, but not drafty, plenty of bedding and roost boards wide enough that they can 'squat' and cover their feet and they will be fine.
Thanks mnhomestead! Wonderful idea with the Christmas lights, less power too. I never dreamed when I decided to raise roasting chickens this year, that I would get this invested in my laying hens. They are so entertaining!

Thanks mnhomestead! Wonderful idea with the Christmas lights, less power too. I never dreamed when I decided to raise roasting chickens this year, that I would get this invested in my laying hens. They are so entertaining!
Isn't it funny how quickly you can become attached?! I love to sit and watch my girls and try to figure out their personalities
smile.png

If you are looking for some good low wattage, cool lights... I found some 25w equivalent screw-in bulbs that are florescent from Menards that I use. My deal is not wanting to use a huge amount of electricity in my barn, but still have sufficient light to stimulate the birds. I have one over each of the 9 large pens and it does the trick.

I am so sorry for your lose. I hope you find a home for your sweet girl. All of ours are precious to us. We even have a tempermental Polish rooster that loves his hens but hates us. He is just doing his job being the protector.

I am so sorry for your lose. I hope you find a home for your sweet girl. All of ours are precious to us. We even have a tempermental Polish rooster that loves his hens but hates us. He is just doing his job being the protector.
I wouldn't keep one like that, personally. I am all for a rooster watching his girls and the flock, but I am still top rooster, if they come at me, they better like bathing in hot broth. Actually, I will give them a chance at redemption, I play dominant rooster with them, and if they learn their place, I let them stay. If not, they are gone. Too many good roosters who are good to the flock AND people for me to keep around those who would come after people.

I wouldn't keep one like that, personally. I am all for a rooster watching his girls and the flock, but I am still top rooster, if they come at me, they better like bathing in hot broth. Actually, I will give them a chance at redemption, I play dominant rooster with them, and if they learn their place, I let them stay. If not, they are gone. Too many good roosters who are good to the flock AND people for me to keep around those who would come after people.
Agreed! I was almost ready to butcher our golden laced Wyandotte rooster 'Clarence' since I am not planning on breeding that breed, but he is so good with the ladies in the main coop and so good with us that I just couldn't do it. I had tried re-introducing the b.c. marans rooster (named Charlie cause he bit my finger
big_smile.png
and would try to attack, he was separated for that and picking fights with Clarence) but he would still charge at me and wasn't as good with the girls... So literally on the day of butchering I put Clarence back in the main coop and Charlie became dinner for the dogs. I figured if I wanted to breed the marans again it would be pretty easy to find another rooster to use since they are becoming more accessible around here, where friendly roosters are a little harder to come by.

I am glad you found some!! Post many pictures for us, they are a beautiful variety.
Finally took a few pictures today, they really don't do the breeds justice, but here they are:
Here is the Sussex pair I picked up, the roo is massive in person:

Here are the Swedish flower hens: (2 roo's, 1 hen)

And here is the Icelandic cockerel: (his pen still needs a door, that's why he is in a large kennel in pic)

Back
Top Bottom