Minnesota!

Is anyone here going to the New Ulm Poultry show?  I am looking for a Bantam Ameraucana rooster.  I have 2 pair of bantam white crested black Polish to sell as well as some Modern Game Bantams, Serama, Silkies and Lemon Blue Old English.
Entries close this Wednesday!

No, I have no experience with them, just don't see them as appealing. I like the breeds and varieties I have and I am good. There are a couple of breeds I don't have but might like to one day, but for now, the 12 or so I have are good for me. I want to work these into better quality each year and know I am getting people some good birds. Plus, there are some great breeds here in the US that were 'made in the USA', like the Buckeyes that are a very overlooked breed that deserves some attention. They were made for places like Minnesota where it is cold and they can handle it, and they are such a wonderful dual purpose breed too!
I am going to work on expanding the New Hampshire Reds in this part of the country too, they are just gorgeous birds that are now starting to make a comeback in popularity after getting some bloodlines in from Germany where they really bred them well over the last 60+ years.
Here is one of the cockerels I have here and that I took to Hutchinson a couple of weeks ago. He didn't do well, but that was my fault because he was in the sun all summer and it ruined his feathering (live and learn, he will molt ;) ). That is a Buckeye pullet behind him.
I am chuckling at the lil fluffball trotting away in the upper left in front of the barn-that has to be a cochin? So cute? And beautiful Buckeyes!

I am chuckling at the lil fluffball trotting away in the upper left in front of the barn-that has to be a cochin? So cute? And beautiful Buckeyes!
Yes, it is a Cochin. I had a lot of them around this year. It is funny that when I pull out a camera, how the ones I want to take a picture of usually high tail it out of range.
Thanks on the Bucks. They are my favorites!

For the last two years I have had problems with frostbite combs and waddles. The first year I tried to heat the old barn with heat lamps and covered everything with plastic sheeting. My first mistake was sealing everything and the 2nd was trying to heat it. way to much humidity and not enough ventilation.

Last year I sealed only the windows inside and out, plus 3 of the 4 doors. I had heat lamps on the waters only. I had the same problem with humidity and ventilation. Plus having a barn fire after a heat lamp malfunctioned and started a fire. The fire dept was awesome in keeping the water to a minimum and using safe chemicals do to the birds. I used the heated dog dishes in only half the pens.

This year I am only covering only the north windows and the two east facing doors as they have major gaps between the walls. I am leaving the west door alone as after rebuilding the frame it fits pretty snuggly. The south facing door I use as my main entrance. The South wall I am mostly leaving bare except where the fire was, not totally repaired yet. I am using only the heated dishes this year plus I leave the doors open during the day for ventilation. The barn has many holes in the walls to aid in the ventilation too.

I am still raising broilers but once this last batch is over then the humidity will be cut in half or more. The south door will always be open during the day unless the weather is to bad. Hopefully I wont have anymore problems with frostbite this year.

I have three breeds all with vey large combs, Black Australorps, Cochins, Crested Cream Legbars.

sounds like a good plan. If you see frost/moisture, provide more ventilation. I've had black australorps for years and never any frostbite, but lots of ventialation, no heat except heated dog bowls, and I keep the water outside in the run.
good luck!

I have just one crested cream legbar hen, she seems so small to me. I take it that is the breed though?

I would also like to mention that if you let the poop build up, you WILL have moisture problems just from that. That is the source of ammonia that if it is damp and the ammonia hangs to the floor (it is heavier than the rest of the air) your birds may become sick. Keep the chickens' living space clean and dry. Try deep litter for them and toss some scratch or cracked corn around in the bedding to keep them scratching and they will keep warm.
Ventilation is good up above the birds, down where they walk and roost is going to be a draft on them and not so good.

I love my all three of my breeds. I have been doing the deep litter method since I started raising them. In the winter time the chickens get time in the center of the barn. I give them a choice to go outside but rarely do. I have 6 pens inside, each has a heated dish but the broilers have three of them. I mix their bedding twice a day with oats for them to scratch for. Each breeder pen gets at least three hours out in the center. They get out every other day so they all get a turn. Once a week i add some fresh bedding added. I will also add 20 lbs of barn lime to each pen after I remove all the wet spots from the water. I do have a double window fan that circulates the air 24/7 over their heads. Plus I open the area under the doors to allow more air flow if a mild breeze during the day. At night I plug them back up do to predators. I also have holes in the ceiling that lead to the hay loft. I would usually plug them all up to conserve the heat. This year I am keeping them open for more ventilation. I also will be putting some fine mesh over them to prevent anything falling through them like wild pigeon's.

sounds like a good plan.  If you see frost/moisture, provide more ventilation.  I've had black australorps for years and never any frostbite, but lots of ventialation, no heat except heated dog bowls, and I keep the water outside in the run.
good luck!

I have just one crested cream legbar hen, she seems so small to me.  I take it that is the breed though?

Yes they are on the smaller side like a brown leghorn. I only have a pair but did hatch out some chicks with a 80% rate. Two pullets and two cockerel's out of 6 eggs and they were 12 days old. They are a lot of fun and a cool breed.

Back
Top Bottom