Minnesota!

Quote: It is a great day today!

I thought my chances of making a Dixie Rainbow CornishX chick died when Rick died.

I have no idea why I did not think of it sooner, I have 2 Dixie Rainbow pullets almost as tall as my CX pullets but a tad skinnier. I will just let Bert mate with them and have my crosses I wanted!

Makes my day!

And to top it off, I have a pullet that lays a cream colored egg that is so perfect it looks porcelain. It is a beautiful egg. I have not gotten one in three weeks, Today I got one again!

I know, I know an old man should not get so excited over an egg. But It is just so perfect.

It is a great day today!

I thought my chances of making a Dixie Rainbow CornishX chick died when Rick died.

I have no idea why I did not think of it sooner, I have 2 Dixie Rainbow pullets almost as tall as my CX pullets but a tad skinnier. I will just let Bert mate with them and have my crosses I wanted!

Makes my day!

And to top it off, I have a pullet that lays a cream colored egg that is so perfect it looks porcelain. It is a beautiful egg. I have not gotten one in three weeks, Today I got one again!

I know, I know an old man should not get so excited over an egg. But It is just so perfect.
Very cool! Do you have a pick of the 'porcelian egg'?

Greetings to all you new folks! Here's why you build a solid coop/run.

What a lovely day...

Oh, hi there...

Hey, what are you guys doin?

...wanna let me in? I totally won't hurt you...

Knock Knock... anyone there?

Ok, I was gonna hurt you, I'm a hawk see?

...rude...

Maybe there's a chimney?

Stupid over-packaging. I'm out.

I have had problems with hawks too. I covered all of my pens but I do let the birds out from different coops and pens on different days. We put a 2' piece of chicken wire around our blueberries to keep the chickens out because they scratch around and blueberries have rather shallow root systems. One day I let the RIW's out into the pasture but one of the girls managed to go over the fence and get into the blueberries and before I could blink there was a hawk. I scared off the hawk but it had already killed her. That hawk kept coming back. We have crows around and when the crows see any hawks they will chase them off, so I started putting any eggs that were cracked that I wasn't going to put out for sale for the crows to eat. I kept putting the eggs in the same spot and went online to listen to crow recordings for a friendly call and when I put the eggs out I started trying to imitate the call. Now the crows hear me and they come to investigate.

It is a great day today!

Makes my day!

It's a great day every day for me. First I'm glad I wake up to another new day and again when I collect the eggs. I am old (lady) too so I can appreciate your excitement.
old.gif

Good luck and have fun...

...When did this happen?
It was thursday early afternoon, from 1 until about 1:15.

vashjir, wow! I enlarged the pics but couldn't see any chickens - were they hiding inside the coop? Great pics, puts the fear of you know what into you.
They were as far from the door as they could be, one must have been in the run portion because I don't think the hawk would've been that persistant without a sight line. The run extends under the enclosed part of the coop as well, so they were probably under there.

Wow, those photos! The are great, but scary. Yes, I too was curious, did your chickens go inside the henhouse part of the coop? Wow!
I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them ran up there, but the ramp is a bit more exposed so they may have been too scared to make the run inside.

That's crazy, Vashjir! I've never seen an attempt. That's insane!
It was quite something alright.

Vashjir, YIKES!! A good reminder for sure!
Indeed, after losing red1, the girls have been on lockdown unless myself or the dog are out there.
Wow Vashjir! That's crazy how persistent those hawks are.
Ya, and my yard abuts the 35w noise barrier, city hawks aren't afraid of much.

Back
Top Bottom