Minnesota!

LOL, really??

Ralphie, I hope that Bert recovers and think you are on the right track in treating the bumblefoot. You might mentally prepare for a less positive outcome, as in my experience it is a slow recovery process or not at all.
I believe that you will require four (4) individual pens as a minimum. Then you can have four segregated flocks as follows: White egg layers, Brown egg layers, Dark Brown egg layers and Blue egg layers. Then in addition you could maintain a free range flock of rainbow egg layers. You could rotate your roosters with the free range flock to give the guys a little variety and add to the spice of life as they say.
You could have quite a variety of egg colors, and when my Royal Purple egg layer project is perfected you are on the top of the list to get some hatching eggs. I don't sell so they will be at no charge of course. It will be required to sign a contract agreeing not to sell eggs or birds from the Royal Purple egg layer variety.

Bert is outside, It might be wishful thinking but he appears "better" he is standing, he crowed some, and is eating oats..

One of my Creamette eggs has pipped!!!

It is one of them with the air sac on the side. I am amazed. My wife found the pip, of course, she immediately let me know I was not a good candler. Which is no big surprise.

Fingers crossed, I might have a chick!

Good luck with the creamette egg Ralphie! Fingers crossed for you.
fl.gif

Thanks...

Bert is doing cautiously better. He is still not out of the water. But seems to be doing better.

I had an incident with Ed harassing Bert. I put Bert outside in a dog fence with no cover. Ed decided to torture Bert. Luckily I caught it right away. Ed is currently in Bad Chicken jail on a time out. Ole and Ernie seem relieved to have Ed not with them. I am finishing another covered pen today. It is for the guineas, however, I might put Ed and a couple of the larger hens in there to get drumsticks like Ed's to eat.

You would have to see Ed in person to appreciate the size of his thighs and drumsticks. If Bert does not make it Ed will get Bert's wives.

How many hens is too many for a rooster to service to assure me of fertile eggs. Right now Ole and Ernie have 26 hens between them. When answering this please remember Ole is a real horn dog and Ernie is a gentleman with manners.

I am now worried about the egg, it pipped and nothing has happened since. None of the other eggs have pipped even. The egg that pipped had a\the air sac on the side instead of the end. I hope it is just resting. The pip is very small barely a pimple.

Bert spend the day outside. He is acting better, but he is still a sick little guy. Ed was released from jail after about 8 hours of looking out. He promised me he would be better behaved in the future. I am not sure I believe him. I have found guys named Ed are not all that trustworthy.
duc.gif

I made a poultice of sugar and betadine, and I found a salve with tea oil in it. I could not find an antibiotic lotion/salve. We cleaned Bert's foot with betadine. soaked it in warm water. applied the tea oil, betadine/ sugar poultice. My DW says his foot looks better. I cannot really tell. I am happy he drank water today and has a full crop of oats. I did not want him to over do it on the protein, so I gave him only whole oats today.

Here are the pictures from the latest ER visit and one of him in his hospital room.

Back
Top Bottom