Minnesota!

One other thing I am looking into for this winter is Haylage. It is basically fermented chopped greens. I learned about it from a local guy and some research led me to this article:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/home...scale-silage-production-for-chicken-feed.aspx

I am thinking that I will wait for the second cut on my alfalfa field then give it a week or two to grow back. Once it comes up and is still tender I will mow a few strips off the end and catch the clippings. I will mix the alfalfa/grass clippings with some grains then bag it up in garbage bags and remove the air. It will then ferment and I can feed it on occasions this winter to add some additional variety to their winter diet. From what i understand the wont eat every piece of the haylage but the grains will provide nutrition and it will give them something to peck at for entertainment.

I usually dont like talking about things I am trying until after I have had a chance to test them out and see if they are even worth sharing but I figure we are all in this Minnesota Winter Wonderland together and our chooks deserve the best :)
I am no stranger to haylage, we always filled a couple of silos with it back on the dairy farm. Usually 3rd or 4th cutting of the alfalfa fields. The thing I want to point out with doing that process is that it will outgas as it ferments. Those gases can be toxic in a silo, so I am sure even in a garbage bag you want to be careful where you put it. Also, if it is outgassing, you want to leave it open for a time to do so. It is gross to smell it working, there was a noxious smell that came from those silos for a couple of weeks. I think it would ferment for two to four weeks. I don't remember. But the cows sure loved it! We put grains on top of it though, not in it.

The biggest struggle to me in the water situation. The summers makes the waterers all nasty and green, in the winter is the freezing.

In further reading, I see Ralphie mentioned to scud layer. In fermentation, I think you always get a layer of gross stuff on top. When we make kraut, hubby has to skim the top. And in silage or haylage, we always had to dig about a foot off the top and toss it in the spreader. It was just the outsides that would freeze with ours, and the top sometimes. That would be because of condensation effect turning into frost around the edge of the cement silos. But usually it was 'forkable' because the fermentation continues enough to create the heat to keep everything from freezing, sort of like a compost pile. In Winter, there are days that our compost pile steams.

By the way, that is where our grass ends up. We have a pull behind catcher wagon that we fill and dump. Between the chicken litter and the grass clippings, we get a good amount of compost going out here. Oh, and rabbit poop too.

P.S. I posted this before reading through all the posts (12 pages or so of them!). I see now that the outgassing was mentioned. It is deadly, my brother almost died from it. Spent a week in the hospital to see if it did permanent damage to his lungs.

Last edited:
Does anybody know of the French originated breed that is coveted for their exceptional eggs? I read about it here on BYC somewhere that the eggs are so great and desired by chefs that makes the breed hard to come by or expensive. Now I can't find it. Was just intrigued to know more about it. I think it may have been a bird with grey....plumage...maybe, maybe....?
And maybe, of course, its just melarky.

Talked to Dad over Lunch about haylage and silage. He said one year he made haylage but all other years it was silage. The corn silage used to freeze on the outside border about a foot thick at times. And he did pick axe it out the center stayed thawed he said. "Haylage is fermented hay". Gosh the stuff he knows. I said, "Yep." Because now I know. Ha. I should really sit down with him more. He also suggested I use Clovite on my birds in the winter to make up the Vit A that gets reduced in the winter. Well thats interesting since I just paid $41 for a 1 gallon bucket for the labrador. (Our vet recommends it as a conditioner for hunting dogs-well any dog I suppose.) It used to be $26 a bucket when we were raising Jasmine 8 years ago. I do find my chickens on the front porch after Sadie is done eating finishing up the Clovite crumbles. Ha. I told him I was looking for cheap (aka free) ways to meet that nutritional demand and he's offered to mow his lawn in wind rows so I can collect grass piles from him. "I'll do it if you're going to come and pick it up." Haha...he knows me well. Time to make the time!
I may just section it off in the covered run with a couple of pallets. So excited about bringing in my lawn harvests! Thanks KlopKlop.
There are a couple of breeds that could fit that description, but just be wary, it may be a lot of hype. I hear things about Buckeyes that I know are hype and not truth, like they hunt mice. not true, they chase and kill them like any other chicken would.

That being said, there is a buff color breed that I can't think of the name of them. Faverolles were a choice dual purpose breed (that is French), but now is more of an ornamental breed. I have them in bantam now, but the large ones once they fill our are nice.
They have hybrids over in Europe though that are like our Red Sex Links and such that have fancier names, so it may be a strain of hybrid you have heard about.

As for Bresse, I hear good things about them. Like any other recent import, you will pay a high price and may or may not get what you think you are getting. People jump on the import of the month bandwagon and suddenly you have a bunch of clueless people breeding them and selling for high prices because suddenly they are in demand, and in that process, a lot of junk birds are created. Do your homework and verify where you are getting them from are up to par. That goes for any breed or variety (color) that is new in the last 2-3 years.

Chantecler is a breed, so Ralphie, the Partridge is just one variety, other than color, they should all share the same traits. They are a very good northern bird to raise, I am just partial to Buckeyes ;)

Do you brew beer? I haven't for a long time, but I want to again. I was wondering how much of the leftovers you can give to the chickens?

My counters were put in today. They damaged my walls and cut my sink off center so the edges are over 2 inches off. Ruined some beautiful granite. ARRRG! They had better fix this problem.
Make them fix it and do it right or replace the granite. My brother has been having a nightmare of a time trying to get one little bathroom redone. I told him he was better off doing it himself. It is SO frustrating to have people who are incompetent doing work for you.

I would suspect that you can give any and all of the spent grains to the birds. Hops are probably a no-no as they are poisonous to many animals.

If you are looking for brewing equipment send me a PM and I could hook you up. I have a ton but since my brother moved out of state I have lost interest as that was kind of our thing. It is just sitting in my basement now.
Spent grains are excellent for chickens. I have had several people in other groups/sites tell their chickens go nuts for them. Some places that people were getting the spent grains from quit giving it away once they found out it was in demand with livestock people. I think I have heard that some feed it to pigs as well?

Going back to talking about buying grains and things, after my vacation next week is when I plan to make some calls around to different feed mills in the area. If anyone is interested I might ask about larger bulk orders, which i would be happy to split with one or more people to help share some savings. I'm looking to beat farm store pricing.
Things I am inquiring about are:
Oats
Wheat
Barley
Milo/millet
BOSS
Layer mash/ration
I am interested in bulk pricing. Please let me know what you find out.

KlopKlop, the Chanteclers are no more expensive than other breeds, but they may be more difficult to find. The Chantecler Fanciers International has a breeder directory that can be of assistance in locating some. I do not suggest acquiring stock from the hatchery sources. They can be a source of good birds but generally they are not of the best quality.
If you wish to go that route, then I suggest Sand Hill Preservation.
I am also a fan and keeper of Buckeyes which are also a very good dual purpose breed. The chestnut color is very striking, and it is purported to be the only breed developed solely by a woman. In my experience their temperament is a big plus, and Minniechickmama is a source for them.
The BlanchRanch, I do not brew beer and do not consume much alcohol. I think I am allergic to it, as it gives me head aches and an upset stomach. The spent grains from brewing are a good feed source for poultry.

I would suspect that you can give any and all of the spent grains to the birds. Hops are probably a no-no as they are poisonous to many animals.

If you are looking for brewing equipment send me a PM and I could hook you up. I have a ton but since my brother moved out of state I have lost interest as that was kind of our thing. It is just sitting in my basement now.
I planted hops all around my run to climb up the fences, supposedly hops berries can be quite beneficial for chickens. A compound in hops called lupulone was found to be possible replacement for low levels of antibiotics as a way of controlling some pathogenic bacteria in chickens.

I planted hops all around my run to climb up the fences, supposedly hops berries can be quite beneficial for chickens. A compound in hops called lupulone was found to be possible replacement for low levels of antibiotics as a way of controlling some pathogenic bacteria in chickens.
That's pretty neat about the berries. Our vet said it is poisonous to dogs and cats and 'probably other animals too'

Back
Top Bottom