Minnesota!

outside!
When there is just a tiny bit of snow, sweep it with a broom. More, shovel. When the chickens can only see snow because you can't get down to ground spread hay or leaves . It helps to have a sheltered area where the snow is kept away - maybe a picnic table or plywood up on blocks or a roof of something....and the water and feed can go there. I keep feed outside too.

Except on super cold days, then I might bring some feed in side. Or when I have some separated for some reason.

Hey the BO with the bum legs actually stood for a good period of time. So maybe she is getting stronger. I tell you, it is a pita to clean off frozen poop balls from her rear feathers.

I had to run to the store and my hubby gutted out the coop and put down more of those alfalfa bales. It feels good and dry in the coop (and I really can't complain too much since I didn't have to do it
smile.png
). It's pretty easy to clean out, but shavings will be used next time.

I had another sick bird this morning. One of my little ones. Gooey eyes and lethargic. She has a smell about her, too (doesn't help that I'm pregnant and every goofy smell makes me want to vomit). Makes me think she may have had bloody stools although I didn't see any. I brought her in, gave her 25cc of tylan. I injected it behind the neck. I'll put another 25cc down the crop later. She won't drink or eat. I'm hoping the tylan perks her up. I may have to convert a section of our garage into a chicken hospital if this blows through the rest....man oh man....

Aside from putting vitamins and electrolytes in the water, should I start using duramycin in their water or tylan 50 for all of the birds as preventative? Or just medicate the ones that show obvious symptoms? I heard a few sneezes in the coop, but nothing like the physical symptoms this little one has.

Dang chickens.
Duramycin will not act quickly if others do start getting what this one has. I used Tylan because it is quick and knocks the stuff right out. If you already have sneezing, if it were me, I would be treating the rest or at least watching very closely and be ready to treat them with the Tylan. If you have Duramycin already, you could start adding it to the water and giving electrolytes as well.
If you need a 'hospital' space, get a large dog kennel that you can put them in for that and you could even have a light (NOT 250W heat lamp, but something like a 60 or 100), and treat them in it. That way you can disinfect between birds and it is not taking up a huge space and you don't have to build something. Either the hard plastic works or a wire with some kind of blanket over it. The wire ones you can even rig a roost in, which is nice for them to have.

Duramycin will not act quickly if others do start getting what this one has.  I used Tylan because it is quick and knocks the stuff right out.  If you already have sneezing, if it were me, I would be treating the rest or at least watching very closely and be ready to treat them with the Tylan.  If you have Duramycin already, you could start adding it to the water and giving electrolytes as well.

If you need a 'hospital' space, get a large dog kennel that you can put them in for that and you could even have a light (NOT 250W heat lamp, but something like a 60 or 100), and treat them in it.  That way you can disinfect between birds and it is not taking up a huge space and you don't have to build something.  Either the hard plastic works or a wire with some kind of blanket over it.  The wire ones you can even rig a roost in, which is nice for them to have.

I do have duramycin. Should I start that as well for all birds (with or without symptoms)? I brought in a few more birds that were showing symptoms and got tylan in them. I put vitamins/electrolytes and acv in all water founts. I have the sickest bird inside with me in a cat kennel. The rest are in a brooder cage with a light on.

Thanks for all of your help! Haven't had this issue before and there's a lot of conflicting info.

All the chickens lived last night! So I'm believing my mantra of "the chickens will be fine." We have leftover grits with chard, a lot of it (it was yucky) so tomorrow's breakfast for chickens will delicious.

[/IMG]

My hen is completely bald on her underside. Her skin is perfect, no sign on injury or bugs. Moves and eats.

Since I've never experienced a molting hen I'd like to think that's it. Any other opinions?

I just keep repeating to myself "the chicken forum folks say my chickens will be fine...my chickens will be fine....my chickens will be fine." I'm going to assume my goats will be too. The goats are out in a very nice 3 sided shed during the day, enclosed at night. They don't seem cold. The chickens are spending most of their time indoors but come running out to greet me (i.e. get some treats) every time I go out to the coop. I have to say, as nice as the weather has been for doing chores, a part of me is okay with the challenge of COLD weather. Hopefully we won't have it for weeks on end. (my chickens will be fine...my chickens will be fine...)

I had to smile reading your post.
So many folks have asked if I heat my coop. And there are moments when I fret about the cold. The cold will come to an end.

How did folks fare last winter? That was awful!

Back
Top Bottom