Minnesota!

CTc42TtWsAEScon.jpg

hey, have you ever heard a woodcock buzz?

went out this morning doing chicken chores just before dawn and was listening. Kept hearing this buzz sound. Hit up the Cornel ornithology lab and listened to some sounds, and I have woodcocks! very excited.

thats a new one on me in this place.

And, I think I have a couple of broodies. Not quite ready for them to settle in yet, but there are so many eggs and I don't get home to collect them til around 5 or 6....

That is a cool sounding bird! I think I have heard them before, and with the sound of the Peepers in the background, it is way cool!
Are they nocturnal? I would guess they are. I still love the sound of loons on the lake though. I miss going up to the in-laws lake house in Grand Rapids on Johnson Lake.

@Wild Child I am so sorry you had lost so many. I agree with lala though, you have to make your chicken areas predator proof if you don't want to lose them.
I can't even think about spending that kind of money on feeding dogs! Big old chow hounds! Such lovely things though they are. We have the 3 Poodles and luckily they are only in the 55-65 range on weight, so we go through about 2 33# bags of dry per month of dry food each month.

Wild Child, I suspect you will not have a problem with cougars after chickens, as they like a larger meal. I have had problems with coyote, fox, bear, weasel and birds of prey but not with cougar or bobcat. I have seen cougar tracks on my property but suspect they may have been passing through.
When you have goats they are more likely to be a target of larger prey animals.

One more thing. If you are to patrol your property at night in that abdominal snow man outfit you are unlikely to be bothered by vermin of any description?

Last edited:
Wild Child, I suspect you will not have a problem with cougars after chickens, as they like a larger meal. I have had problems with coyote, fox, bear, weasel and birds of prey but not with cougar or bobcat. I have seen cougar tracks on my property but suspect they may have been passing through.
When you have goats they are more likely to be a target of larger prey animals.

One more thing. If you are to patrol your property at night in that abdominal snow man outfit you are unlikely to be bothered by vermin of any description?
On the bright side I'm a homeschooler and my desk is by a window overlooking the goat pen so they will have me watching over them for a good chunk of the day
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom