Minnesota!

Scandia, I live in Hermantown and not far from me is where the guy got the trail cam pics. It even made the Duluth News Tribune. Many up here say they have seen them including my father in law. But he saw one years ago on the road into my cabin on Prairie lake. He was actually taking a walk in the morning when it crossed the road in front of him.

Help!!!
I don't know what to do. I have a broody hen that is sick. Background: I had the rooster that was sick from Wisconsin. Sounded congested, raspy. He sounds better, but still crows funny. I used the waterer from his pen, washed it with soap and water and put it in with the broody. She seemed fine, besides that she plucked all her feathers out on her belly. I went in today and she was coughing. By night she sounded like she inhaled water and is super rattly. She's breathing occasionally through her mouth. Watery stinky poo also.

The U will do a necropsy for no fee. Do I do it? If it's contagious, I want to protect the flock if possible. She was in with all of them though. Have you had a broody get sick like this? Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Help!!!
I don't know what to do. I have a broody hen that is sick. Background: I had the rooster that was sick from Wisconsin. Sounded congested, raspy. He sounds better, but still crows funny. I used the waterer from his pen, washed it with soap and water and put it in with the broody. She seemed fine, besides that she plucked all her feathers out on her belly. I went in today and she was coughing. By night she sounded like she inhaled water and is super rattly. She's breathing occasionally through her mouth. Watery stinky poo also.

The U will do a necropsy for no fee. Do I do it? If it's contagious, I want to protect the flock if possible. She was in with all of them though. Have you had a broody get sick like this? Any thoughts?
yikes! i have no idea what you should do, but im crossing my fingers for you!

cool set up. what are the egg cartonlike things?

I'm thinking of going with the mamabroodyheatingpad thing for the red ranger chicks. I am not getting them until June, because I have to build another coop and fence in an area, and I refuse to have them in the house. That means I better make sure I have time to get the coop ready for them, I'll brood them in that.

Think for 25 chicks I'll need two heating pads.

The aggravating thing is that I have a perfectly wonderful brooder at face height in the current coop, but with mareks, I don't want to risk the chicks. THe last chicks I raised in that brooder were cream legbars from triplett, and all of them died, and all of them were stunted. In fact, I thought cream legbars were supposed to be bantam sized, til I got ralphie's creamette roo, and whoo, he is a big boy. proper sized! (standard sized).

althalaia, (sorry I keep getting creative with spelling your name), hope your fingers are better today!

Back
Top Bottom