Minnesota!

I would think too small to be effective.

Could not get the hens to accept the chicks so they will be in the brooder. I struggled with this decision but I took the other two that were outside with the hen.
We had four outside with hens and two mysteriously disappeared. I think our tomcat got them. Brooding four chicks together is not a problem.

With larger animals we put a magnet in them, (they swallow it) and it will allow for no further issues. Is there such thing for chickens? Or are their insides to small to handle such a thing?

I have never heard that being an option with poultry, and since they have a different digestive system, I doubt it is an option. I do know of the ones you mean for large animals, having grown up on a dairy farm. However, with chickens it could be something other than metal, like plastic or something they get in there that is sharp.

I have never heard that being an option with poultry, and since they have a different digestive system, I doubt it is an option.  I do know of the ones you mean for large animals, having grown  up on a dairy farm.  However, with chickens it could be something other than metal, like plastic or something they get in there that is sharp.  

Makes sense plus the magnet would not be large enough to be effective.

having my morning coffee on the porch at dawn, here comes a fox!!!!!prancing around, hunting rodents. apparently uninterested in the chicken yard. While the run is secure, the hens have access to a large garden area which is also fenced but nothing that would deter a fox. Yikes!

first junco's this morning, they are here early this year but first frost has yet to appear!

having my morning coffee on the porch at dawn, here comes a fox!!!!!prancing around, hunting rodents. apparently uninterested in the chicken yard. While the run is secure, the hens have access to a large garden area which is also fenced but nothing that would deter a fox. Yikes!

first junco's this morning, they are here early this year but first frost has yet to appear!

Hush your mouth about that "f" word, you!!!

Well, my father in laws dog finally got to one of my birds, the little wellie pullet that has been through hell and back. Told my wife to let her dad know the dog is no longer welcome here. She's not happy about it but I'm not happy to be down a poult that should have otherwise been fine.

Yeah, I get that. It's hard to maintain good relations when a chicken killing dog is in the mix. My neighbors dog took out two hens again recently. When I called him he argued that I should keep them penned up.
My firm response - my animals can run free on my land. Keep your dog on yours.

dogs have accounted for more than 90% of predator kills for me. I lose to the occasional hawk or owl, or fox, but....generally it is a dog.

Head count came up short last night, missing a hen. Not sure whether the fox learned about chickens (almost hard to believe when it had a standoff with a smaller chicken and didn't take her), or dog or hawk - lots of migrating hawks and eagles.

This time of year is hard - keep them confined in the runs , or let them out with the lush greenery? I was gone all day yesterday so no deterrent that way.

And, one of those "pullets" is a that were broody hatched last spring is a cockeral. I can hear him join in the morning crowing, but even after carefully examining the pullets, I can't figure out who is masquerading! I know when they were chicks I thought I had 3 cockerals, but when it was time to pack them off for the slaughter there were only two.

Enjoy this gorgeous fall weather, everyone!

Back
Top Bottom