Minnesota!

:welcome Welcome Phil!!! Glad to see you found us, have fun raising your layers. If you have any questions abount them just ask and one of us are sure to help in finding the answer.

Heidi AKA Triplell

Hello everyone, it's me again!
I don't really know where in the forums is a good place to ask questions, so I figured I might as well ask people who are from Minnesota as well. (If here isn't the right place then please tell me! haha)

I'm looking for information because my family and I are thinking of starting our own flock of chickens in the spring. I'm looking at different breeds so I know how big I should make the coop (nesting boxes, perches, etc.). I looked at some breeds on this site and also went to my local feed store. I know the feed store carrys chicks in the spring so I though I would go check out what they had for breed options and also supplies. The man at the counter was really helpful and highlighted the four breeds that sell the most at the store. Here are the four he highlighted:
Barred Rock
Black Australorp
Buff Orpington
Silver Laced Wyandotte

I was hoping to get some opinions on these birds from those of you who have owned any or all of these guys. I'm looking for egg layers specifically.

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thank you!

Hi Phil! I'm also have fish and chickens. I don't breed fish though... I have young children, and just don't have time, but maybe someday. (Unless you count the Kribs I have... I have them in a tank with Angels, so only 4 babies have made it to adulthood in the year I have had them. ;) Oh yeah, and the 40 gallon that I let guppies take over. LOL )

Hi Miranda...

The 4 breeds that you mentioned are all cold hardy breeds. Have you googled "Hendersons Breed Chart"? Lots of good information there.
I have Orpingtons (black and lavender) and they are nice docile beautiful girls. One barred rock hen-very calm and easy going. I also have a 18 week old Wyandottes (Silver and gold laced-GL is very friendly).
Are you looking just for # of eggs produced? friendly pets? or..? Some other breeds you might want to consider: Easter eggers-these come in all sorts of colors and lay blue green or pinkish eggs and are very friendly birds-some with cute little beards/muffs. Also, Light Brahmas-they lay through the winter and are big birds with feathered feet- sweet personalities.
Something to think about: for chickens that lay more often-they can "burn out" early and stop laying much at all at 2 yrs. While the ones that lay 3-4 per week will lay for more years.
Let us know what breeds you decide on-its addicting and you will always find another breed you want to add. (I have close to a dozen differnt breeds currently! LOL)

Last edited:
Hi Angie,
Thanks for replying! I am very new to the world of chickens so I have never heard of the "Hendersons Breed Chart" but I will definitely take a look at it.

Since I do live in Minnesota I definitely need cold hardy breeds. My dad and I aren't going to be making our little hobby into a business, so we are really looking for chickens that produce eggs but are also friendly so we can handle them. We also have neighbor kids that may want to come over and hold them as well. But I also know that if I handle the chickens when they are just chicks, then they might be a little more friendly later on in life.

I have heard about the easter eggers and think they might be worth looking into, but I don't think my local feed store is in contact with a breeder who will sell them to the store. But I guess if I really want some then I'll find a way to make it work. haha

And I have another quick question. We want to start off with about 10 chickens and I don't know if we should get a rooster or not. I have heard that they look out for the hens and try to protect them but sometimes they can be little cowards themselves. Haha I would love to have a rooster to look out for the hens but I don't really know that much about them.

Thanks for your help!

Miranda,

I would suggest you look into all the fun breeds out there, and decide what you want. Quite honestly, it is easy to find someone with whatever breed you decide on (these forums are a great source) and will be better quality usually then you can get at a store-they come froma hatchery.
I work in the cities and live on the MN/WI border fyi.....and am on the Wisconsin cheesehead forum most of the time.
As far as a rooster: My experience, I bought 8 chicks when I started out and it turned out that 3 were roosters. I was so attahed to them and it was really hard to give them up. Even harder is to find good homes for them where they wont be eaten. This year I risked it again and let my broody hens hatch some eggs-and ended up with 3 more roos. Even when buying "sexed" pullets there is a small risk with one being a cockeral. My suggestion is to start out with pullets...and if you dont end up with a roo, then watch online for someone trying to re home a FRIENDLY rooster. The cockerals are always the ones that end up a favorite then later can become agressive. It is much easier to wait and let someone else hatch out and raise up a roo-and then when they are around a yr old you will know what their disposition is..plus you will make someone VERY happy to find a good home for one. As far as whether you should have one or not....many pros and cons in my opinion.
Pros: They protect the girls, will keep then close if free ranging (hens tend to wander off more iwhtout a roo around) and they are always on the look out for danger. Plus I love the sound of them crowing.
Cons: The biggest negative is the worry of aggression towards you or family members-especailly if your handling the hens and the roo thinks your hurting them. And lots of people feel that its not worth paying to feed a roo when they dont produce eggs.
There are particular breeds that are known for having more gentle roosters: the ones that I have heard over and over again are: Cochins, Faverolles, and Orpingtons (Seems a lot of people feel the Lavender Orpingtons especially are more calm-although not sure why this would be as the colors are allthe same breed).

I apologize for the run on paragraphs-something is up with BYC and when I post it all runs together..

Last edited:
Hi Miranda,
I have had a mix breed flock and have decided to breed the Black Austalorps only. I am in Brainerd MN and I have started to hatch replacement hens for the spring. I will have plenty of them through spring if you are interested. I handle all of them the moment they hatch out. These are not the hatchery type but the show type and are very large birds and lay for more than two yrs. They are very docile hens and roosters. I will have started hens available this spring. If you are interested we can alway's meet someplace too.

Heidi

I was reading my Backyard Poultry magazine and found that New Ulm has their Fall Classic show this weekend, Oct. 13-14 and Hutchinson has the Minnesota State Poultry Show Oct. 27-28. Could anyone tell my which one would be better to go to? Though I like to look at other birds, my main interest is in OEGB's. I'm not showing, just want to look around and maybe pick up a few birds. It's a 2 hour drive to Hutchinson and another 40 minutes (?) to New Ulm and with gas prices I don't know if I want to go to both of them so was wondering which one I should pick. Do they both have selling areas? Is it better to go on Saturday or Sunday? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi Chicken owners from the St. Paul area,

I am on another board and saw this this evening...

"We found a lost hen tonight down by Aide Mill Rd. She seems healthy and looks to be about 17 weeks.
Please claim we don't have the room for her in our coop."

If it is yours, I will get you in touch with the person who found her...

As of yesterday we are USDA approved for selling eggs and Golden Cox's Rare Poultry Hatchery in Little Falls is officially registered in the state of MN as a hatchery. :)

Back
Top Bottom