1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mint

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sillybirds, Oct 13, 2008.

1. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    We have mint that grows like a weed in our garden. The other day I had the idea to give some to the chicks, see if they'd like it. Sure enough, they love it!

Anyone else feed their chickens mint? I wonder if it'll affect the flavor of their eggs when that time comes...

2. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    mine wont eat it. they did however eat all the petunias and impatiens.

3. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Too bad about your flowers! I think I'd get some goats, but they'd probably eat everything in the backyard!

4. sweetcorn

sweetcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I bought some honey this year from a farmer who's bees have a nearby mint field and the honey was mint tasting and delish in tea. I wonder though if it will make for minty eggs , lol.

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Mint is one of those herb plants in my backyard that the hens leave alone.

Thankfully, there are a few things like this.

Steve

6. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    My hens don't eat any herbs, just tomatoes and greens! Our goats, on the other hand, eat hardly enything out of the garden. They are the pickiest eaters I've ever seen!!

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

We have spearmint, and some is around the perimeter of our new run, but the hens don't seem to like it...it keeps the run smelling fresh, tho'[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:I got some local honey like that last year. I was so impressed with it that when we put out our bee hives this past spring I threw out mint seeds. [​IMG] LOL

9. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Mine won't touch the stuff, neither will the goats. I love it. [​IMG]
    That honey sounds terrific. I've been thinking about keeping some bees. I still have some fear to overcome. The ones we have here naturally are so calm and curious, it's really boosting my courage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by