Miracle needed... any advice?

joyjeeves

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 6, 2011
I'm quite sure I have a hopeless situation, but I hope someone here can help. I have a hen that has just hatched her first egg (a first for me too!). We have one adorable healthy little black star chick that is doing very well with momma. HOWEVER... I made a terrible mistake and gave the hen a second egg a few days after she went broody. I didn't realize that she would lose interest in sitting on the second egg. She's been impatient with it for the past 2 days, and today I found that she had completely removed it's shell. The hard part is... the chick is ALIVE. The poor little thing is breathing and has looked up at me several times. I realize that it will most likely die. However, I've put it in a little bowl with a damp cloth over it. It's currently sitting in the sunshine to keep warm.

Anyone have a miracle to offer? By my count it has a couple more days to go before it would've hatched.

So sad. Poor little thing. :( I should've taken it out yesterday and put it under a heat lamp.

I do not have an incubator. :( I have a heat lamp for my chicks.... but I know humidity would be an issue. I might be able to rig something with an old aquarium. I'm hopeless unprepared, because I was letting momma do all the work.
If I was to rig an aquarium... heat lamp, water in a dish for humidity, damp cloth over the baby... would that do it? I'm feeling so helpless.

The poor little thing didn't make it. I'm heartbroken. Dang, life is so hard. Sweet little bird.
Thank you for trying to help. :(

Im so sorry!
hit.gif
Put your chick under a heat lamp and try to keep it warm. Good Luck Darling!

Thank you all for being so kind! I'm glad to have the one healthy chick I have. She is beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom