Mis Pollitos

still would love more input. 2 more questions:

1. Would you trade all of these chicks in for new ones? Trying to get hens
2. Has anyone seen Rhode Island chicks that look like mine?

According to the breed standards here on this list it says Rhode Islands only come in Reds & Whites. Your's look black & white. Still has me wondering.

Its still too early to tell on what's what sex wise so I'm not sure if I would turn them all in for a trade. I mean my Cuckoo Marans all have little combs & when I first got them, put pictures up, people on here were saying they were roos but as they have grown the combs haven't changed & their feathers are still looking like hens.

Just my experience,
Shannon

I use to live in Tijuana but don't really go there that often now since all the government framented the main drug cartel, now nobody is in charge anymore.

They look like my Barred Rocks.

Not good pictures.

one week old
P1010191.jpg

P1010190.jpg

4 weeks old
P1010201.jpg

p1010200.jpg

Last edited:
Judging from the background in the pictures, you are probably near Lago Chapala. Lo siento, pero a mi todos parecen machos.

Rufus

Crossing the Barred Rocks with Rhode Island Reds yields such a chick. Los machos tienen una mancha en la cabeza. Las hembras, no. It is a sex linked trait. Todos parecen gallos. Next time you buy chicks, look for the chicks without the spot on the head. Roosters are what they will try to sell you. They want to get rid of them. That is why they are selling them.

Next time ask for Rhode Island Reds de la raza pura. The chicks will be yellowish and reddish brown. At least that way you will have a 50/50 chance of getting some hens.

Find a feed store near you and do business with them. Buy twice as many as the number of hens you want to keep.

Rufus

PS the Naked Necks are so ugly, it hurts to look at them.

gracias! I'm hoping for barred rock, but for the reason he says they are rhode island, leads me to believe they are sex link as well. On Monday, I will look for solid colored chicks. I'd like black sex link if I can't have a barred rock. And will also look for the thin stripe down the solid colored chicks if they are rhode island.

Geez, I don't like waiting 5 months to find out they're all gallos! I'll still be looking for good pics of black sex link chicks, but i have a feeling they look just the same as br.

jaja, si, those naked necks look like baby vultures!
ep.gif

Quote:
Si, ellos parecen zopilotes. As I recall, there used to be a feed store in Jocotepec, but that might be long gone by now.

Rufus

It's gonna be kind of hard for you to get all pulleys even if you exchange them on Monday for Rhode Island Reds since I don't think RIR can be easily sexes as baby either, I think a safer way to go is if you go to like a small town where they raise chickens and buy some started pulleys from them, a lot of people out of the city raise chickens in Mexico so I don't think that'd be hard to find.

crash, it appears you have experience w/both br's and bsl...in your experience, at 3 weeks, do the br chicks and bsl roos look the same?

Did I miss reading if anyone was able to notice a "wash" on my chicks legs? I've been studying my birds a bit and one definitely is smaller with a smaller dot on it's head than the others, has a pale beak, in comparison, and greyish legs whereas the larger crazy head seems to be getting a little red on his comb and his legs are orange like.

Back
Top Bottom