Misled by the Feed Store on breeds...Do you know who these babies are?

HA! You got it
smile.png

So I found out the "end" of the story...or at least how all the breed mix-ups happened. Apparently there was a Chick Day near-disaster!!

This is from the owner of the feed store in response to an email I sent him (w/ photos of course) about my chick day experience:

Faye:
Thank you so much for your email.

As you may know, we used a new hatchery for our chicks this year. While we had been satisfied with our previous supplier (in New Mexico), we always wished to find someone more local. The hatchery we chose this year was only a couple years old, but assured us they could provide everything we needed from their facilities in Canby and Tangent. Unfortunately, they had a complete failure in their Tangent incubators, resulting in the loss of at least four of our breeds and shortages in several others. We found out about it only a few hours before we opened on Chick Day. We began calling customers in the morning to let them know, but only made it through about a third of our list before we simply got too busy to continue. To partially offset the shortages, the hatchery filled in with a couple breeds we didn’t expect, including the Delawares and White Plymouth Rocks. It was confusing for everyone, but the hatchery owner stayed with us through the busiest part of the morning to help as we all scrambled to make things work.

Your comments are the first breed or sexing errors we’ve heard this year. I doubt they will be the last, but hopefully, the numbers will be small. I apologize for the errors; I know we let you and other customers down. We do offer a money back guarantee, so we would be happy to refund the price of your rooster or any mislabeled breed.

Thanks again for your thoughtful notes, and I appreciate your willingness to give us another try. While we can’t fix what has already happened, we can do everything possible to ensure it won’t happen again.

Jon Hendersen
Old Mill Feed & Garden

and my answer:

Hi Jon! Actually I hadn't heard that you were using a new hatchery. I applaud your efforts to keep it local! How sad for them that their equipment failed...and on that day to boot!! I can only imagine your panic, and theirs. I am so sorry that you had to deal with that, especially in the face of Chick Day madness!

That explains a lot...and I can see how some of the breeds got mixed up in the confusion, especially with the vendor trying to fill in with what he had on hand. I do hope that you don't have many issues from others. Thank you for your generous offer to compensate, but it's so not necessary. I'm very happy with the birds I have...I just wanted you to be aware of what happened in my case...and I don't feel let down in the least. It's a learning experience for all of us, isn't it?
smile.png

Of course, if you know of anyone who would love to give a home to a beautiful Easter Egger roo, you could point them in my direction
smile.png

See y'all soon!
Faye

That poor man & his staff...finding out just a few hours before opening (People line up down the street for this event each year, lining up at 7AM for the 8:30 opening! First person in line at opening time gets a T-shirt that says on the back, "The Line Starts Here!" LOL!!).

At least now I know how all the mis-labeled breeds happened, and thanks to all of you I now know who I really have
smile.png
I do appreciate your help!!

Your last bird is definitely a red/gold sex link. I have a whole gaggle of them, and I love love love those birds! The white on the tail is a dead giveaway as production reds are solid color.

Sex links are very docile, curious, sociable, and calm, you'll fall in love with her. Especially when she goes gangbusters on making eggs!

Thank you, Pele!! It's good to be able to put a label on her at last, and I so appreciate all the input from all of you! I hope I can help someone in turn.

You're right, Pele, Maxine is absolutely adorable...such a sweet personality
smile.png
And she's hysterical when she goes toe-to-toe with the little roo as he tries to assert his "male dominance" over the flock by chasing them into corners. She stands right up to him and backs him off
lol.png

I love my golden comets. on is dark like your girl with the light creamy bottom and britches.... I lost one yesterday am to a hawk..
hit.gif
but I still have the one and I too think your roo is going to be beautiful.... too bad you cant keep him .. maybe you can find someone on near you or who will send you back pics of him as an adult.

)O(
Pink

Their "golden sex-link" has problems if he is one. the males are born white anyway sooo...

Back
Top Bottom