Miss Peggy has one leg now... Woo Hoo pix added see # 42

No my silkies don't fly all though they do flutter up to the top of their wooden box that they sleep in, thanks to the keets they are raising. One flew up there and wouldn't come down so my black silkie fluttered up there to get it. My silkies also do not roost, they are floor sleepers, although I have heard some people say their silkies do roost. I think they prefer being on the ground though.

I remember a duck with one leg living down in a park in Ft Lauderdale and according to the ranger had been there for years. It got around really well using it's wings for balance and hopping all around in the wild with other ducks.

Quote:
Sigh... Thankyou its a high predator area for sure. I am building the new poultry house now in small steps. The six by twelve ""coop"" they are in is reinforced now. Its been a week and no more breaches of security. Like I said i wont replenish till I get them secure. But I definately will place another order with you in the spring.

I am told that electric fencing has to be done differently up here. Too dry here and hard to achieve a ground (need that to make a shock work). It has to be done in a bipolar fashion, meaning a positive and negative wires run parallel about an inch or two apart. they make bipolar tape but I would need a professional to come set it up. Or at least show me how.

She has the Bigun cage which has a mirror in it. But she spends her time in the corner where her flock mates hang out. they seem to want to hang with her too, which is encouraging.

Cochins and silkys were my two thoughts. As well as maybe possibly putting in one of the smaller male Guineas in with her. Out of the flock i believe I have royal purples and maybe a pearl one Lavender and one Buff.... Peggy is the buff. The Lavender Violet may be a jumbo shes a full third larger and heavier than the rest. And then I have one of the littlest ones and I think he may be a male. I have to sit and listen. If so I may just put him in with her so shed have a mate. What do you think?

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking about the flying. So they can flutter about a little... this is good. I had wanted a Silkey and or a Cochin for broody duty so Depending on how she heals I may decide on one or the other or even another guinea.... still trying to make a good decision.

Quote:
Well Eight total including her.

One of the things that happens in trauma like this is because the flesh is ripped not cut the muscle swells and pinches off the blood vessels. Dont ask me why I know this its just one of those odd bits of information i remember when I hear it.. Her biggest danger was in the first few hours and day. when I found her the wound had already scabbed over and was packed with rice hulls. I did nothing to it. I didnt mess with it or clean it or even touch it. I figured if she was going to make it it was up to her. What I did do is put her in a cage where she was safe from being trampled by the others. Make food and water easily available to her and its been a week. She is bright eyed and talking with her little soft buckwheats. Swim flapping away when I go into the big cage and swim flapping back to her corner when I leave.

That whole acceptance part is what has me thinking about establishing a companion now. Just in case.

Oh just 8 left including her, ouch, even worse. Yah if you have a little guy I'd start with putting him in there with her and see how it goes. They maybe perfectly content together. Glad the rest are hanging close too.

I have issues with my plugged in electric fence power supply staying grounded during the hot dry months here too... I pounded several t-post about 6 ft apart or so into the ground all the way (UGH!), all hooked together with heavy duty wire, and they get watered every day when I water the garden, lol. If you have a moist/wet area around any of your animals' water troughs, you may be able to pound something there for a decent ground. For my solar box, I mounted it on an old satellite dish mounting pole that had a ground wire going into the ground already, and I just hooked the solar box's ground wire onto that existing ground line. Seems to work fine all yr long, and I never have to water that one, lol.

I don't think I sent you any buff/tan keets... is that one maybe your Brown keet that's feathering out light?

Too bad you aren't predator proof now, I have a ton of Royal Purples and Pearl Greys, and a watermelon, lol
hmm.png

Quote:
No I thought she was a lavender and she has lavender undertones but there is definate light tan eggshell coloring over her back and neck and shoulders. The lttle brown was lost during the attack on the twenty six.

Maby a different color than buff? When you see the two together she is definately not predominatly a lavender. And she has no dark coloring on her neck like the lavender.

Quote:
Check out something called BiPolar tape. by Horse guard. me likey. They give out free samples by request too.

http://www.horseguardfence.com/index.php

IF you already have electric fence set up converting over to this is pretty simple. In my case I need posts put in because I want to electrify all livestock containment areas. Both to keep the livestock in.... Goats and horse.... and to keep coyotes out.

<edited because I suck at spelling>

Last edited:
Went to the house today after the drama of yesterday.... San Diego Power out couldn't get gas to go home.

I fully expected to see that she hadnt made it because I wasnt able to get home yesterday. Woo Hoo not only did she make it but she was hoppin all over her cage. She still had water too Which is what I was worried about. She was telling me.... Let me out... now... but I want her to get a little stronger on that one leg. Probably another week or so. Then i will let her out under supervision and see how she and her mates do. If its good then I wont have to get her a companion. But I definitely wont be letting her free range for sure.

Peeps I miscounted There are only seven including Miss Peggy.... I lined the whole cage now with reinforcement.... Still paranoid.

I have decided to double wall the poultry house on the sides that need to be wire. Chainlink first Then walkway Then Aviary wire. I am giving up on the extra pens if I have to.

Last edited:
Miss Peggy sounds bound and determined to survive, that's great she's making progress
smile.png

Sigh, only 7 left. I have been there done that tho. I went from 28 to 4 my 2nd year. Was no fun at all, finding fresh feather piles or feather trails every morning. Luckily I had one lucky determined broody Hen hatch out 24 keets... I snagged them and raised them up and replenished my flock for free, then I built predator proof pens and got a mean @ss donkey to do predator patrol for me!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom