Miss Peggy has one leg now... Woo Hoo pix added see # 42

perchie.girl :

Quote:
Yep

I wouldn't have, the bird could have made it's own choice. If the injury was too much for her she would have just given up on her own or infection would have taken her out by now. That Guinea obviously wants to live and is supposed to live (plus with as many birds as deb's lost lately to predators, I do not at all blame her for giving a pretty Hen that can still lay eggs a chance to recover!). Guineas can get around fine on one foot/leg, and many do. It's not much different than a dog with 3 legs, and there's plenty of those hoppin' around, lol. Give that girl a month's time max to recover and I bet she will be back in the flock and living a happy Guinea life
wink.png

Besides... THAT'S ONE OF MY KEETS!!! They are tough lil buggers!
lol.png

Last edited:
I am in Costa Rica but had many guineas in California, now, here last week I found a fellow who was selling guinea chicks so I bought 2. Watching them lately they are hanging around with the silkie chicks that are near their same size. I have no idea if they would stay companions but they are snuggled together tonight in the chicken coop. I think if it were me and I had some silkie chicks about the same size/age I would look for one that I thought was the most gentle and put them together. Plenty of feed and water should help. I would put them together about roosting time then check them very early. If the silkie seems too active then separate them but in the same area, close enough for interaction thru whatever cage wire you are using. Again each night putting them together till they form a bond and after that letting them run/hop together. Nothing is perfect, they may have situations but all in all they may become close companions. Them staying together and bonding will have its ups and downs but aging together should create a strong bond or at least a good companionship.
love.gif

Quote:
I think this may work if she doesn't integrate back into the flock. Right now shes hopping around rather skillfully in her cage after a week. I am going to give her another week before I catch her and give her the look over. Its so traumatic to catch these guys I don't want to stress her out too soon. I definitely want a couple of silkeys and Cochins.... though its so hot here I am not sure its a good environment for such heavily feathered birds. I hope if she isn't perceived as a weak bird they wont pick on her.

Wow Costa Rica.... such a pretty place ... one I would love to visit. and
welcome-byc.gif

perchie.girl :

Quote:
I think this may work if she doesn't integrate back into the flock. Right now shes hopping around rather skillfully in her cage after a week. I am going to give her another week before I catch her and give her the look over. Its so traumatic to catch these guys I don't want to stress her out too soon. I definitely want a couple of silkeys and Cochins.... though its so hot here I am not sure its a good environment for such heavily feathered birds. I hope if she isn't perceived as a weak bird they wont pick on her.

welcome-byc.gif

I would not worry about having silkies in your area, I have no problems with ours, Costa Rica is the tropics. Our home is at 3800 feet so it is not as hot and humid as the coastal folks have it but the sun here is really strong. The big thing I worry about is shade and water, both are necessary. I have bush/trees called the golden dewdrop which is dense from the ground up. I use 8" of deep litter in the coop on a dirt floor. The litter is wood shavings from a local sawmill which is great as it is easy to fluff and the fecal matter breaks down fast, lots of good bacterial action. I take this litter as it breaks down and scatter it below and around plants in the backyard which all of the flock scratches in. Their scratching ends up leaving large depressions in the yard which all of the flock use as places for dusting themselves and keeping cool. As I take out litter I scatter it in these depressions which the flock scratches out which builds up the sides of the hollow area and doesn't get down to the plants roots so the plants get nutrients from the litter, the litter helps hold the moisture which cools the ground which is where the flock enjoys the cool during hottest part of the day. It is a win, win for the plants and the flock. Oh yeah, there is no smell associated with the deep litter method. The flocks constant scratching in the litter in the coop buries the fecal mater so there is no build up and no smell (most of the time). There are 3 turkey hens in an area that is partitioned off for them in the coop where they have laid their eggs and are sitting. They have hollowed out areas for their eggs but they are close to the cement blocks which are cool for them but the eggs stay warm in the hollow. I don't see them panting at all. This morning after I let the mob out I heard one call buckwheat, buckwheat answered by chi-chi-chi so I may have a pair of guineas that will produce offspring. They both have tried to fly but end up out of control from having one wing clipped so they gave up fast but it was funny to watch them. They are now showing that they are home and are starting to act like they live here and are being nutty guineas.
My home is on top of a mountain foothill which gives me an almost 360 degree view of valleys. When I go out to let the flock out I usually walk around the end of the coop to look across the valley for the totally awesome view we have of our corner of paradise. If you would like to see some photos of the area visit my blog, http://www.agardeninparadise.blogspot.com/, and/or email me for more photos.
46306_picture_z7590_362.jpg

This is the view I see from my backyard when I let the flock out around 5:30AM​

Quote:

welcome-byc.gif

I would not worry about having silkies in your area, I have no problems with ours, Costa Rica is the tropics. Our home is at 3800 feet so it is not as hot and humid as the coastal folks have it but the sun here is really strong. The big thing I worry about is shade and water, both are necessary. I have bush/trees called the golden dewdrop which is dense from the ground up. I use 8" of deep litter in the coop on a dirt floor. The litter is wood shavings from a local sawmill which is great as it is easy to fluff and the fecal matter breaks down fast, lots of good bacterial action. I take this litter as it breaks down and scatter it below and around plants in the backyard which all of the flock scratches in. Their scratching ends up leaving large depressions in the yard which all of the flock use as places for dusting themselves and keeping cool. As I take out litter I scatter it in these depressions which the flock scratches out which builds up the sides of the hollow area and doesn't get down to the plants roots so the plants get nutrients from the litter, the litter helps hold the moisture which cools the ground which is where the flock enjoys the cool during hottest part of the day. It is a win, win for the plants and the flock. Oh yeah, there is no smell associated with the deep litter method. The flocks constant scratching in the litter in the coop buries the fecal mater so there is no build up and no smell (most of the time). There are 3 turkey hens in an area that is partitioned off for them in the coop where they have laid their eggs and are sitting. They have hollowed out areas for their eggs but they are close to the cement blocks which are cool for them but the eggs stay warm in the hollow. I don't see them panting at all. This morning after I let the mob out I heard one call buckwheat, buckwheat answered by chi-chi-chi so I may have a pair of guineas that will produce offspring. They both have tried to fly but end up out of control from having one wing clipped so they gave up fast but it was funny to watch them. They are now showing that they are home and are starting to act like they live here and are being nutty guineas.
My home is on top of a mountain foothill which gives me an almost 360 degree view of valleys. When I go out to let the flock out I usually walk around the end of the coop to look across the valley for the totally awesome view we have of our corner of paradise. If you would like to see some photos of the area visit my blog, http://www.agardeninparadise.blogspot.com/, and/or email me for more photos.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/46306_picture_z7590_362.jpg
This is the view I see from my backyard when I let the flock out around 5:30AM

Wow Just wow....
ep.gif
droolin.gif
th.gif

Quote:
Yep I went up there today on my Every two day routine and she was hopping around as if she had been doing it all her life. I know she wanted out with her buds. LOL... she even one footed it through her water dish.... The rest seem to think shes right in there with them.... hope hope hope.

Woo Hoo Miss Peggy is in with her flock mates..... I moved her cage around to another spot and she was soo adamant on being with her buds. I just opened the door and turned around to reset the perch.... Just in time to see her skitter behind me and in to the group eating Millet.

Boy can that girl Hop..... LOL. She only got stepped on once and knocked over once. And pecked once..... She has to lay down to eat off the ground and that's how she got stepped on. By the time we left she was roosting on a shelf with her sister Miss Violet.... I fixed it so there were no places for her to accidentally fall behind while she explores and gets stronger.

wee.gif
Glad to hear Miss Peggy is doing so good. It seems like animals handle problems much different than people. If it doesn't put them down then they just adjust and move on. Most likely that leg will get so strong she will eat standing up, her balance will be awesome. My two new ones, Salt & Pepper are running and I mean running all over. The only time they are anywhere near still is when I toss out cracked corn in the morning. It is fun, most of my Tico neighbors have never seen a guinea let alone hear one. Live on Miss Peggy, live on!

Back
Top Bottom