Missing chicken and one dead *I describe the body I found*

If I was treating a bird with a maggot infestation I would use something called Iodine spray, however I'm not sure if you can get it in the US :(

Sorry to hear about your predator troubles, but glad your missing girl came back. You need to flush those maggots out ASAP before they burrow in any further, using something that will kill the maggots without harming the exposed flesh of the hen. Look up Flystrike, as that is what your girl has. I'd use an antiseptic wash to flush both wounds, then pick out the remaining maggots with tweezers before applying an antibiotic ointment or an antiseptic aerosol.

The maggots were TINY. But there was a lot. She was attacked yesterday early morning and I didn’t find her until late this morning. Do you think this happened in that time frame or before then?

She is alive yes! I made an appt for tomorrow at the Uw Madison vet clinic. I washed the area with warm soapy water and got a lot of the maggots off. But there are still some inside :’(

Could you post pictures? It may help us get a better grasp on the extent of her injuries.

The injury probably occurred during the attack, the maggots will have then gotten in afterwards, flies don't take long to lay their eggs in a good food source like an open wound. You do need to get them all out; if there's only a few left, some tweezers will work. I wouldn't use soapy water again as it could cause irritation to the wound; go for a special wound-wash; you may have one in your human first-aid kit that would do fine.

BC83E08C-91B3-4CE3-8D8A-0658014687B5.jpeg

The maggots all need to be removed as the first priority. The wound on the lower back doesn't seem too deep and has only a little tearing, so should clean up nicely with some antibiotic ointment and time. The wound on the shoulder is concerning, as I feel like I can see exposed tissue which could require chicken surgery.

Back
Top Bottom