Missing chicken during daylight. Only feathers left

katie_94

Songster
Oct 14, 2021
It's lightly raining and noon when I heard a thud and the hens screaming. I go outside and I see two piles of feathers, some feathers on the barrel (which I assume was the thud sound I heard), and a trail of feathers that stop in the middle of the yard. Just my luck, it starts pouring and I can't tell if there was blood or any blood at all. I go further into my yard and I see feathers stuck to a small opening between my fence and the neighbor's (that I've asked my dad to close up since he doesn't let me tough his power tools and I just cover it with a cement slab and wood that gets knocked over occasionally) but I don't see her from what visibility I have. The neighbors are either not home or ignoring their bell but I left a note asking if I can check their backyard.

I'm alone at home, it's pouring, I'm overwhelmed and just cried my eyes out as this as never happened before. The girls' run and coop are super well protected and I let them roam around my fenced backyard during the day. I have no idea if something killed her or she ran thru the small opening and is scared and/or injured. She's a large adult, easter egg girl. I literally saw her this morning when I gave her treats.

I've drove around but I can't find her. I know there's not much help that can be done here but I am so distraught. I live in northeast FL next to the coast and next to a vacant lot as there are more houses here than forest. I just left a voicemail asking our state wildlife commission if there's foxes in my specific area to get some closure. These chickens are my pets and I'm so attached to them as they help me cope with my autism this is hurting my heart.

I'm so sorry about your chickens. Are any of them left, or did whatever it was get them all? If one/some of them survived, you might want to lock the survivor(s) in the secure run/coop, because odds are the predator will be back looking for more food.

You might see if you can get up on a ladder and at least look into their back yard. It might help you to know, rather than guess what's going on over there.

I'm so sorry this happened. Sending you supportive thoughts.

Unfortunately, my dad has the ladder tucked away that I would need help getting it out. The rest of my chickens are fine and uninjured and have been locked away in their run/coop but it's been hours and I still can't find my missing girl. A biologist from the wildlife commission got back to me and although she sounded unsure and was making a generalization, she said that there's a possibility of foxes in my area and that if my girl was taken chances are she's not making it back. I don't want to give up on her but I might have to accept the worst case scenario.

Thank you for listening and giving advice to lock up the rest. It's hard to cope right now.

So sorry. This is one of the hard parts of chicken keeping. Sometimes, all you can do is wait and hope. You might find some comfort in knowing you gave your missing girl the best life you could for as long as possible. Sending you supportive thoughts.

You likely have a fox. Much love my friend. I've lost many to fox. I ended up buying a dog, and no longer have fox problems. Feel free to see my profile for that thread.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Sadly we just experienced a fox attack on one of our girls back in late Nov. We were a little lucky and we caught the fox in the midst of trying to abduct one of ours. She has been currently healing. I know that it doesn't give you warm and fuzzies or comfort hearing that, but wanted you to know that you're not alone. I wish for the best outcome for you, but it sounds as if your girl might be gone. Know that you gave her the best life she could have and keep the others safe because whatever predator came this time will be back. I wish you the best and lots of hugs and love coming your way. I know how heartbreaking it can be.

You likely have a fox. Much love my friend. I've lost many to fox. I ended up buying a dog, and no longer have fox problems. Feel free to see my profile for that thread.
Thank you for the suggestion but we cannot afford another dog or have the space to keep one. My family (except me) are also not willing to train or discipline and instead encourage bad behavior.

Thank you for the kind words everyone.

If it was a fox and I'm unable to catch it by myself due to lack of experience/resources, how long can I keep my girls locked up? Will it lose interest eventually?

Thank you for the kind words everyone.

If it was a fox and I'm unable to catch it by myself due to lack of experience/resources, how long can I keep my girls locked up? Will it lose interest eventually?
You have to get a large fox trap to trap a fox. I've been putting mine up next to the covered run where I've occasionally seen digging. No fox yet, but I trapped a racoon, possum, and chicken (who escaped from the run - we got her put back fine).

This fox may eventually give up, but no telling when more predators will come check things out. I'd keep them penned for at least 2 weeks or more. I don't know your setup so can't say for sure, but you may need a really good apron to discourage digging.

Back
Top Bottom