Missing chicken

TheLittleFarm18

Songster
Apr 15, 2018
Central Illinois
Last night when shutting up coop we were missing a chicken :( they free range, it was cold and rainy day. We are still surrounded by corn and bean fields. They have always came come at night. No feathers, no other chicken seemed aware she was missing. No tracks of preditors. She did not come home this morning either. Also a side note one if our kittens is also missing! We've searched high and low the last 24 hours

Missing a kitten and a chicken, I would think predator... No tracks, hard to tell what might have gotten them. A large owl could swoop down and take either away, but they mostly hunt at night (not always). Most other raptors tend to de-feather at the catch point rather than fly away with them. So maybe a fox...

Any hunters around ? Some guys stole our beautiful cat one year ... people are nasty !

Now about the chicken , put seed in a can and shake it and call her , train your others to come when you do that noise. “ come” is the most important dog command taught , chickens /ducks need to know a sound too.

Good luck

It sounds like a fox could have grabbed them. They will carry their catches away. You probably also have coyotes in your area. I've seen both of those predators going thru my place in the daytime. One of my guineas disappeared without a trace several years ago and I assume it was fox or coyote.

But you should also check for things they can get themselves trapped in. I found a hen inside a roll of wire last year. And this spring I found a hen lodged in between 2 bales of hay. Both of the hens were dead by the time I found them. They were looking for hidden places to lay their eggs.

I hope you find your kitten and hen. :hmm

Coyote, fox and owl all on property. Cats and chicks all come to the sound of rattling food. Great ideas all. This is our first chicken loss, 4th cat lost this year believe it or not....the not knowing what happened is what keeps me nervous

Keep everyone in their safe coop and run, and the cats safe, for at least ten days, to discourage any possible raptor. Can you set up a game cam? See who's out there!
Live traps are good too, as long as you will shoot any varmit that's trapped, rather than relocating.
Otherwise, all mentioned predators are possible, and also hiding places.
Mary

Last night when shutting up coop we were missing a chicken :( they free range, it was cold and rainy day. We are still surrounded by corn and bean fields. They have always came come at night. No feathers, no other chicken seemed aware she was missing. No tracks of preditors. She did not come home this morning either. Also a side note one if our kittens is also missing! We've searched high and low the last 24 hours
Is there any eagles or snakes in your area?

Back
Top Bottom