Missing Chicken

lombardo

Hatching
Nov 13, 2020
My family is new to raising chickens and at the end of June we got 3 baby chicks and cared for them, built them a fancy coop that we put them in at night - they just come back there really every night and we shut the door. They were suppose to be 98% female but we got a rooster. But he is awesome and they are always in a little group of three. Yesterday when my son returned from school around 3 he noticed that one was gone. I think they are too young to be mating and brooding though I am really hoping that might be why she is missing. So my question is - Can a Salmon Favorelle start having fertilized eggs at almost 5 months with a rooster about the same age? My fear is a hawk got her - the rooster and my other hen are acting strangely - but it is also raining and they hate to come out when it is raining so cannot really tell if that is the reason or if they are scared. I am just really hoping she is off sitting on some eggs and our property is 3 acres so maybe we just have not found her. It does not help that she blends in with the dried leaves.

My family is new to raising chickens and at the end of June we got 3 baby chicks and cared for them, built them a fancy coop that we put them in at night - they just come back there really every night and we shut the door. They were suppose to be 98% female but we got a rooster. But he is awesome and they are always in a little group of three. Yesterday when my son returned from school around 3 he noticed that one was gone. I think they are too young to be mating and brooding though I am really hoping that might be why she is missing. So my question is - Can a Salmon Favorelle start having fertilized eggs at almost 5 months with a rooster about the same age? My fear is a hawk got her - the rooster and my other hen are acting strangely - but it is also raining and they hate to come out when it is raining so cannot really tell if that is the reason or if they are scared. I am just really hoping she is off sitting on some eggs and our property is 3 acres so maybe we just have not found her. It does not help that she blends in with the dried leaves.
Maybe she went on a walk by herself to think. Sometimes we hear good stories of them coming back. 🤗

Attachments

• 20201109_231642.jpg
    20201109_231642.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 2
my duck runs off all the time! she usually always comes back. she either has the itch for adventure or wants to go for a swim in our backyard lake. I am always worried about hawks thought and my duck cant fly so I watch her more often. we had a red-tailed hawk swoop down and pick up a baby duckling once right after it hatched. so is your 3 acres more open with few trees or lots of trees?

Unfortuantely we found her and there was not much left. And we saw the hawk perched in a tree watching the other chickens who will not come out of their closed in run. We shut the door just to make sure. She was actually at the edge of the hedges where they like to nap during the day. She probably tried to make it there. Our land is mostly pasture with a few trees. The chickens rarely go into the open land unless they are following us. Anybody know how to get a hawk to leave? She was such a nice Chicken

1605288887681.png

Unfortuantely we found her and there was not much left. And we saw the hawk perched in a tree watching the other chickens who will not come out of their closed in run. We shut the door just to make sure. She was actually at the edge of the hedges where they like to nap during the day. She probably tried to make it there. Our land is mostly pasture with a few trees. The chickens rarely go into the open land unless they are following us. Anybody know how to get a hawk to leave? She was such a nice Chicken

View attachment 2409811
I'm so sorry, that is heartbreaking. I am new at this too. I also have hawks and even eagles that fly over our house and lost one of mine over a week ago. I know how it feels, but I don't know how to keep the birds of prey away and I'm not sure you can.

View attachment 2409811
either shoot at the hawk or trap it and re-locate it by catching some other birds and put a big net over them with the birds inside and the hawk will get tangled

Back
Top Bottom