Hollymay

Chirping
Feb 10, 2020
Hi there! Two of my ducks have recently had ducklings and they stay in a shed at night. The other ducks prefer to sleep outside but two nights ago one of my adult ducks went missing. Thismorning I woke up to two more of them gone. They were all very healthy and no signs of a struggle so I’m just wondering what could have happened. I live in Australia and the only predators we really have are crows. Was thinking the ducklings may have attracted the crows but since they can’t get to them, they went after the ducks instead? Very sad because I loved them very much and I’m worried it’s going to happen again but I can’t put them away in the shed at night because the parents of the ducklings get stressed when the others are in there. Sorry if this is a little confusing. Thanks!
Edit: The ducks reside right next to council land so anyone can come past and see them so I was also thinking they could have been stolen? Not sure if this is a possibility but honestly just brainstorming right now.

Last edited:
I dont know where you live but unfortunately found out lately that foxes are a problem in the uk. It's much safer to secure them at night especially if you've lost some recently, they keep coming back for more.
I'm sorry for your loss, I was devastated when we found what was left of my boy. I lock them all up when it starts to go dark and I feel cruel doing so as they've had to go back into their original smaller house but it's for their safety until we can make the big one safer xx

Not crows. The list of potential predators is long. From owls to bobcats to mink to fox to coyote to --------------- . Bottom line is unless they are secured in a coop at night they will continue to be killed.
In Australia we don’t have any of that and many people are able to leave their ducks to do as they please. It hasn’t been a problem until now (had these ducks for three years) which is why I’m questioning if the ducklings may be drawing something in. Especially confusing as there’s no sign of struggle.

Last edited:
I dont know where you live but unfortunately found out lately that foxes are a problem in the uk. It's much safer to secure them at night especially if you've lost some recently, they keep coming back for more.
I'm sorry for your loss, I was devastated when we found what was left of my boy. I lock them all up when it starts to go dark and I feel cruel doing so as they've had to go back into their original smaller house but it's for their safety until we can make the big one safer xx
thank you! I live in Australia and where I am, we pretty much don’t have any predators other than the crows which go after the ducklings. I’ve tried locking them up at night but they hated it and obviously since I’ve never had a problem before I just let them do their own thing but I guess I may have to try again. 💛

thank you! I live in Australia and where I am, we pretty much don’t have any predators other than the crows which go after the ducklings. I’ve tried locking them up at night but they hated it and obviously since I’ve never had a problem before I just let them do their own thing but I guess I may have to try again. 💛
In Australia we don’t have any of that and many people are able to leave their ducks to do as they please. It hasn’t been a problem until now (had these ducks for three years) which is why I’m questioning if the ducklings may be drawing something in. Especially confusing as there’s no sign of struggle.
You might not be wrong, our dog used to go crazy for them when they were ducklings and chirping around, now they're adults and quack shes fantastic with them. Could you leave them out with a netting over the top if its crows? We're in england so I might be completely off but my partner asked could it be snakes? X

Hi there! Two of my ducks have recently had ducklings and they stay in a shed at night. The other ducks prefer to sleep outside but two nights ago one of my adult ducks went missing. Thismorning I woke up to two more of them gone. They were all very healthy and no signs of a struggle so I’m just wondering what could have happened. I live in Australia and the only predators we really have are crows. Was thinking the ducklings may have attracted the crows but since they can’t get to them, they went after the ducks instead? Very sad because I loved them very much and I’m worried it’s going to happen again but I can’t put them away in the shed at night because the parents of the ducklings get stressed when the others are in there. Sorry if this is a little confusing. Thanks!
Edit: The ducks reside right next to council land so anyone can come past and see them so I was also thinking they could have been stolen? Not sure if this is a possibility but honestly just brainstorming right now.

Back
Top Bottom