Missing eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bevy326, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Bevy326

Bevy326 In the Brooder

Aug 19, 2018
    I have 6 welsch harlequin female ducks. One is about a year old the other 5 are 9 months. This spring they started laying one egg a day each. Yay! Now I am only getting 2-3 a day. They were all just laying them in their pen and not caring too much about them, but then they started building a nest in their house. most of the time the eggs are in the nest now. One of them has taken to sitting on the eggs, so I can see how she may have stopped laying. They are getting the extra egg layer pellets from blue seal along with meal worms, veggies, and corn for treats. They free range during the day. Is it possible that they are hiding eggs somewhere? They have been venturing across the road to a neighbor's "pond", we have a pond for them here, but they seem to like the other one better. I haven't searched around the pond as it's not my property and don't want to upset my neighbor. I'm curious if maybe they prefer going over there to lay eggs so that I won't find them. They all seem healthy and active. 2 had bumblefoot that is now taken care of and gone. Where are all my eggs? I was told welsch harlequin are some of the best layers

happy duck and FluffTheDuck like this.
  2. FluffTheDuck

FluffTheDuck Duck love is recognizable in any language

Nov 26, 2018
    AL
    My Coop
    Some ducks take a break for a while, or they may be broody (or not) and hiding eggs outside the house. I have to play the Easter egg hunt everyday!

3. Duckworth

Duckworth Songster

May 15, 2017
    U.S. Prairie
    They may well be laying at or in the neighbor’s pond. If you want to be sure to get the eggs each day, consider letting them out later so that they will be more likely to lay before they leave the house. I have Welshies and they are great layers.

DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. happy duck

happy duck Crazy duck mom

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    Most ducks lay their eggs in the morning. What time do you let your ducks out?

DuckyDonna likes this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Couple be on a break or likes laying in the pond as many young Ducks like laying in water at first.

6. Bevy326

Bevy326 In the Brooder

Aug 19, 2018
    I let them out around 8:30 usually. That's about when I get up. I thought about maybe waiting until later in case they are laying them elsewhere, but as soon as they hear me up they start quacking like crazy! Maybe I will try and follow them tomorrow and see what happens.

DuckyDonna and happy duck like this.
  7. happy duck

happy duck Crazy duck mom

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    They should have already laid there eggs by 8:30. They might just be taking a break right now which is normal.

Duckworth and DuckyDonna like this.
  8. Duckworth

Duckworth Songster

May 15, 2017
    U.S. Prairie
    I have a couple who can be later layers. They carry on as soon as they see me in the morning, but quiet back down if I put food down for them. I do that pretty early, then come back later in the morning and collect eggs and clean up.

9. janz70

janz70 Songster

Jul 4, 2017
    N.E. UK
    or you could have rats or crows taking them - they can stop laying if spooked or bothered by these

10. Bevy326

Bevy326 In the Brooder

Aug 19, 2018
    So when I went to get the ducks back home today I found an egg! They must be waiting and laying them over there. I will try and wait til later in the day to let them out. Any tips on keeping them in my yard?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: