Missing feathers at base of tail?

Jenilynchickmom

Chirping
May 12, 2020
Michigan
I’ll try and give as much as I can for info-

I have 6 hens that we got this spring, my coop is 4x8 and my run is 5x15, I have 2 nest boxes today I noticed that my Polish is missing feathers at the base of her tail (Her wings are intact and her tall spikey tail feathers are intact)

everyone is laying but her, they eat later feed and get 1 cup of scratch to share every other day. I haven’t seen bugs and I haven’t seen anyone pick on her directly but I know she’s the bottom of the flock and always the last for anything.

does this sound like she’s getting plucked? Should I change feed to flock raiser for more protein?

It could be a rougher molt - two of my hens are missing feathers there right now, but I know it’s from molting. I usually make sure there is extra protein available this time of year as it helps them through molt.

It could be a rougher molt - two of my hens are missing feathers there right now, but I know it’s from molting. I usually make sure there is extra protein available this time of year as it helps them through molt.

could this be a first molt? Is she too young for that?I’ll try and get a photo tomorrow. It didn’t look bloody or anything just a little naked

could this be a first molt? Is she too young for that?I’ll try and get a photo tomorrow. It didn’t look bloody or anything just a little naked

I never noticed rough molts like this on my hens their first fall (though they do molt a crazy amount of times as they mature, so it’s possible). Watch the hen’s behaviour and try to do a bit more investigation into the potential of parasites to make sure this isn’t the case, but I wouldn’t be overly concerned as long as she fills in with feathers again soon. Does she have access to a really good dust bathing area? Make sure the other chickens aren’t bullying her either - your spacing is good for the run and the coop, but birds low on the hierarchy are sometimes roughed up a bit too much by others.

Photos of the missing feather area would be great. Possible it's a picking issue (she's too young for adult molt). I'd lay off or reduce the scratch and add higher protein feed (if you want to continue with layer, you can try a 50/50 mix) to see if that helps.

Photos of the missing feather area would be great. Possible it's a picking issue (she's too young for adult molt). I'd lay off or reduce the scratch and add higher protein feed (if you want to continue with layer, you can try a 50/50 mix) to see if that helps.
Would I switch to all flock then? And that would be ok for all the girls?

or just try to give higher protein treats?

5332D57D-20DE-4981-B12F-DAA60D8A95BE.jpeg
0FB10DE0-AFEB-4021-A22B-CABE3B6B25A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Would I switch to all flock then? And that would be ok for all the girls?

or just try to give higher protein treats?

Thanks for the photos, that looks like feather picking to me.

All flock would be great, whether as the sole diet or mixed with their other feed. High protein treats are an option but depending on the choice they may not be as cost effecient (like canned unsalted fish) or high in fat (such as mealworms).

Back
Top Bottom