1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

missing feathers on cochin neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jennings Gamefowl, May 8, 2009.

1. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    i just bought a black cochin yesterday.. she has some feathers missing on her neck.... what can i do to help her besides removing the roo?? also when the roo trys to mate with her she pulls away with him still pulling at her neck.. its like she trying to say no or something.... what can i do for this???

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    if it just the nape of her neck and behind the comb it may be from mating. If it is less well defined and includes under her chin it may be mites. Search this sites for mites and you will find a wealth of information on how to treat and prevent re-infestation. If the rooster persists in rough breeding behavior you may need to pen him seperately and just allow him in to cover the hens and then back to his bachelor pad until he outgrows his raging teen hormones.

3. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    ok thanks i wil try to keep him away from her except for just a quick breeding,,,,, im hoping she will start laying and after a while sit on her eggs, so that way she will have time to recover...here is a pic of her

[​IMG]

you can see alitlle bit of the feathers missing

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

My two pullets have the same thing. You can either (A) get used to it as it is from breeding, or (B) remove the rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by