Missing toenail

marilyngurl22

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2015
One of my girls has a missing toenail. I noticed her limping today (she's my favorite and most friendly girl). She came up to me limping and holding up her foot and crying a noise I couldn't ignore. Her middle toenail is gone. I feel so bad for her. It must hurt like crazy. I put hydrogen peroxide on it and a heavily diluted mix of witch hazel and lavender oil. I read through a couple old posts but wondering what else I should do and look out for? We are in the process of moving so finding a spot without direct sun all day to keep her in a crate is near impossible. What bad could happen from treating her wounds but leaving her with the flock?

I would put some iodine or Vetericyn on it and leave her alone. It will be painful for a week or two, but she will be fine. She probably needs to be with her flock to be happiest. The nail probably won't grow back, if it is like my hen's, and the toe may look a little clubbed at the end. Good luck.

I have vetericyn! I'll use that from now on. Thanks for the advice. I was hoping she would be able to stay with them. It's not bleeding so I figured it would be ok. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom