Mite infestation in bathroom, how to eradicate and how to treat chickens

Hi there! I'm a new member although my husband joined while we were awaiting our chicks and loves it :). We have nine nine-week old chickens. Their brooder area was in our stand up shower of our bathroom up until a week ago when we transitioned them to their outdoor coop. Today I went into the bathroom to finish picking up the dust, etc mess that they made and noticed little beige creatures EVERYWHERE. BILLIONS of them....seriously everywhere in that bathroom!!! I freaked out and called My Pet Chicken who, as always, were extremely helpful and told me that they are avian mites. We live in the forest in Maine and have many wild birds, including a large flock of wild turkeys that frequent our yard...so apparently mites and/or eggs made their way onto us, then onto the chickens in our house. Regardless of how on Earth this happened, what's done is done....and now I need to figure out two things ASAP:

1. How do I make sure we dont get an issue with a mite infestation in our entire home (ie not just the bathroom!). How do I get rid of them?
2. What is the best course of action to treat my birds? Until the mites are controlled, how do I prevent any mites from coming in my house?? Strip at the door and throw clothes in the washer??

Things I already have taken into account are:
- I believe bird mites are species specific to birds and dont pose an major risk of home infestation...without a bird to feed on, they will die. (I would appreciate any confirmation to this that you can provide!!)
-I know diatomaceous earth can be used as a preventative and will begin to do so immediately. However, I believe that it may not be strong enough to treat an infestation.
Please Note: I have NOT seen ANY evidence of mites on my birds that I'm aware of...but I'm a first time Chicken Mom!.....so I'm not sure if whats going on in the coop is an "infestation".

Things I've Already Tried in the Bathroom (dont laugh:0):
-I vacuumed up the visible mites
-I bleached the crap out of any possible surface
-I sprayed Lysol (for good measure)
-I'm currently ignoring the fact that they are on surfaces that CAN NOT be sprayed....such as our toothbrushes. Yeah. Ugh.
-I resorted to spraying a good amount of DEET bug spray on the heavily infested areas.

One last note--we have young children (not present when Mommy attacked the bathroom with Lysol, bleach and DEET) and our girls are far from laying so going organic, as we almost always choose, isn't super-critical here. However, we do handle the chickens frequently so anything non-organic I use on them will need to be safe for humans to handle them afterwards.

THANK YOU for reading this and for ANY advice based on your experience that you may have!!!!
You may want to try elector PSP. It is considered organic and safe. It works by bacterial action on the mites versus poison.You do you have to be careful with that though because it can kill a lot of beneficial insects, so you don’t want to haphazardly spray it everywhere because it will kill bees and insects that are good for the environment. I have used it, because one time mites got in my house when I did not take a bird nest down that was under the eaves next to my kitchen.

Consider a permethrin bath for the birds?

I first tried spraying my birds, but it didn't seem to help them.
Searching further revealed a 5gal bucket of warm water plus one ounce of permethrin10 added.
Dip them all in, just avoiding the head. This'll be easier for you with small ones than my huge hens that fought me. I recommend something to protect your eyes, take a shower after if you get as drenched as I did :(
It's only been a few days, but my overly bothered hens seem much happier. One hen in particular was clearly getting anemic. Her color is returning, so I'm assuming the bath was good.

Consider a permethrin bath for the birds?

I first tried spraying my birds, but it didn't seem to help them.
Searching further revealed a 5gal bucket of warm water plus one ounce of permethrin10 added.
Dip them all in, just avoiding the head. This'll be easier for you with small ones than my huge hens that fought me. I recommend something to protect your eyes, take a shower after if you get as drenched as I did :(
It's only been a few days, but my overly bothered hens seem much happier. One hen in particular was clearly getting anemic. Her color is returning, so I'm assuming the bath was good.
Great info, thank you!!! I agree, I think that a bucket method will be easier. My birds are all friendly but dont love when I try to manipulate them....looking under their wings, etc. Not that I blame them :) Im really glad to hear that the bath helped your flock!!! Did you see the mention of Elector PSP? That will be my first choice when I budget out $100+ for the spray. I researched it a lot and it looks great!

UPDATE: I figured out where the mites came from!!!!! The short story, which may not surprise many of you: TRACTOR SUPPLY!!!!! The longer version: My chicks were out of food and I went to the only place in my area that has a reliable supply of MannaPro Medicated Chick Starter Crumbles--Tractor Supply. I picked up 2 5 lb bags and went to leave the store. Along the way, my daughter and I found a book section with lots of chicken books and I started to leaf through a few regarding the ID and control of mites. While I read, I began to feel a crawly sensation on my wrist...arm...bicep....so I put down the food bags to itch and found that my arm looked much like my bathroom appeared prior to my chemical warfare. I looked at the plastic food bags and sure enough, they were crawling (every inch!!) with the same things that infested my bathroom.
MYSTERY SOLVED.
Not too pleased...but I'm a rational person and I understand that these things may happen when dealing with feed, in a feed store, in summer. Notified the manager who told me that 1. its common 2. thats why they now have large fans blowing down that aisle (they do indeed) and 3. they are "dust mites" that eat the paper from the bags and/or the food and DO NOT live on humans OR chickens. @hobbyhomesteader maybe we can learn more about this from you?!? I would love to learn more about these critters!
Needless to say, I *DID NOT* purchase the food there and went down the road to Wal-Mart where I have seen the same food before. They did have a large bag and I inspected it thoroughly....no sign of mites. I WILL NOT buy food from Tractor Supply again!! Lesson learned and problem solved!!!! UGH!!! But what a relief that my chickies are so far mite-free.... I'm focusing on and celebrating the positive to all of this!!!!! :D

You can simply soak the toothbrushes in bleach water for about 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse, until you can replace them. The prevailing opinion of many on the threads on this site discount the effectiveness of DE . I will bet that the more expert folks are going to suggest pyrethrin. If you search the forums for mites there will be many instructions on how to use it best. It is a natural insecticide but also comes in a synthetic form. Good luck! (I believe it can also be used on the chickens)

Make PERMETHRIN
Your new best friend. Treat everything/one weekly for at least 3 weeks.
TY so much!!!! I have some permethrin on hand that we dilute and use in a sprayer around our property for ticks...it is Martin's Permethrin SFR 36.8% Can I use this if I dilute it, because I notice the ones for poultry are 10%? If not, Ill order some 10% right away...or try to find it local (which may be tricky around here, so if anyone knows where to find it locally, let me know!:) Thanks again for your help...I may have follow up questions as I get familiar with how to deal with this...

TY so much!!!! I have some permethrin on hand that we dilute and use in a sprayer around our property for ticks...it is Martin's Permethrin SFR 36.8% Can I use this if I dilute it, because I notice the ones for poultry are 10%? If not, Ill order some 10% right away...or try to find it local (which may be tricky around here, so if anyone knows where to find it locally, let me know!:) Thanks again for your help...I may have follow up questions as I get familiar with how to deal with this...
Hold.

Is this what you have?
https://www.domyown.com/permethrin-sfr-368-p-445.html
Screenshot_20190620-201629.png
Screenshot_20190620-201615.png

If so you can use it in your bathroom/coop but not on the birds.

Order the 10% for the birds.

Any chance you took a pic of the wee buggers? I only ask cause there are a few tiny pests out there that have a similar look but aren’t an issue for birds
Oh boy...I would love to get a positive ID on these things but they are so small, I cant photograph them! My husband is going to bring home an eye loupe tonight so we can attempt an ID. They are about the size of a pinprick (Note: NOT pin HEAD) and some are even smaller (different age stage I assume?) They are only beige...not brown, red, etc. And I haven't checked my chickens yet today, but I'm headed out now to inspect everyone)

VERY HELPFUL!!!! Cant thank you and @casportpony enough!!! My game plan is to use the 36.8% permethrin diluted to the ratio listed (4oz to 10gal water) and spray down the coop, bedding, etc while the girls are in their run...then spray down the run with them in the coop. It looks like I can use this on the chickens too...but I will see if I can find any dust or 10% locally to be on the safe side. I know permethrin is relatively safe for chickens BUT they are only 9 weeks old. They are our pets and we love them, but we are new to this, so I am very grateful for your help!!! Im going to spray down my bathroom too :O

Back
Top Bottom